Possible solution for fuel tank sender

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Possible solution for fuel tank sender

I was working on the gas tank for this new panel, and I pulled one of my NOS tank senders off the shelf for the tank.

I'm not sure if I'm going to sell this truck or not, (I have a few people wanting to buy it),

I started getting twitchy about putting a piece of unobtainium into a truck I may sell,

I remember I had a 47 Ferd tank sender left over from my Ferd panel,

so I tested it with a KB dash gauge And a L series dash gauge, the Ferd sender talked to them both, and was as accurate as a 60 yr. old gauge is gonna be.

the Ferd arm is shorter, I had to lengthen it, but other then that identical.

these Ferd senders are a lot easier to find, I got this on on ePay for about $20.00

my extension connectors are shade tree style, but work, I'm sure someone with right connectors could make it nicer looking.

IMG_2593.JPG
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Possible solution for fuel tank sender

Awesome Jon!! I've always wondered about that since the gauges for international and ford were made by the same company. Thanks for checking that out.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:38 am

That's good to know. I'll probably be having to cross this bridge soon...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:50 pm

so, is there a part number for the Ferd Sender? Enquiring minds would like to know! LOL!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:36 am

This post is from another thread, It may be the part you are talking about.

"My fuel gauge will not work. I have two instrument clusters. It will not work in either. I assume it is the fuel tank sending unit. Can anyone tell me where to find a compatible unit?"

Mac auto parts (MacsAutoParts.com) has fuel tank sending units for Ferd/Merc's... they too used King-Sealy gauges...
I used MAC p/n 64-20528... NOTE: they may also refer to it as p/n 32-20528.....

I got mine thru Tri Starr LLC, they identified it using p/n M3V-467-B.... part arrived in a MAC's auto parts box using p/n 64-20528....
or 99A-9275... Charged me 99.00, whereas MAC's sells it for 37.50.... go figure, (sic) wouldn't want to pay retail anyway.....

PMH

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:27 am

Just sent my sender unit out to Bob`s Speedometer in Howell, MI to be restored, has been in business since 1929, advertises in Hemmings, not cheap but will be like new.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:32 am

Does Mac`s have a seal (gasket) for the sender to tank? Anyone know who does or is this a make it your self? Thanks for your help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:01 am

I had posted this in the parts dept , maybe it will helpFuel tank sending unit
I thought it was worth posting here about how I was able to repair my sending unit . They are hard to find and this repair is for a common problem that is easy to fix , also will save you some money and work .
Take off the top of the unit and see if the tiny wire inside is still connected , if it is then this won't fix it . If it isn't then re-connect it with some epoxy ,jb quick is what I think I used , make sure that the wire and contact are clean and press the wire down and apply the jb , and hold it there until it sets . There is supposed to be something just like this in the gauge . What happens is the glue after so long gives up . They don't soder it because the wire gets hot and as a result causes the bar that its wrapped around to bend . It's a pretty amazing devise . Here is a picture that should help . The pencil is pointing to the little wire and where it should be connected , this one is .
ATTACHMENTS
gas gauge.jpg
Attachments
gas gauge.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:07 am

n2oldcars, just buy a sheet of cork gasket material and make one.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 am

the mac's and dennis carpenter sender units are a new reproduction item, they claim it talks to original gauges, I do not know if it does,

the one I used in the picture is an original old stock ferd one from 1940s, you could just lengthen float arm of a reproduction one too,

the original ferd sender arm was so much shorter it would read empty with a 1/3 of a tank left.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to K and KB