Drip Rail Replacement

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Drip Rail Replacement

I had rust in the cab just above the doors where the drip rails were spot welded in - where moisture got trapped between the cab and drip rails. I had to remove the drip rails to repair the rust. The drip rails are beyond repair. Has anyone found a suitable replacement?

I came across these generic 48" straight rails: http://www.geneshotrodparts.com/sdrip_rails . I have emailed the seller to get some dimensions on the width and cross-section profile. My thought was to bend them to the vertical contour of the door opening and then use my shrinker/stretcher to adjust the inward contour. I'd like to use a modern body adhesive to fix the new ones in position.

Has anyone else gone down this path, and do you have another source for drip rails or any other tips?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Drip Rail Replacement

My passenger side was missing and the driver side was bad. I removed it. I just looked at the ones you posted. I wish they would show the profile. One 48" piece would almost do both. The old one was only about 24". I considered leaving them off or making my own. I have a bead roller but the original groove is very small and my dies are too large. If you get the profile, please post it, I would like to see what it looks like too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:47 am

How about an off brand drip rail since truck cabs of the 40's were very similar. Could be easier to work with than a straight rail. $52 per side, this would be the way I would go likely after wasting a day trying to make one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Pickup-Tr ... 8d&vxp=mtr

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:58 am

G'day to y'all yep iv done this rusty drip rails on my kb3, mine were nearly extinct all rusted off, so I made some, out of 1/4 in stainless tube, I cut the tube in half lengthways then bent it to shape of the roof mig it to some flat thin plate steel worked out just great u couldn't tell I made it , hope this helps a bit.

Return to K and KB