KB-1 Front Gravel Shield

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

KB-1 Front Gravel Shield

Was the gravel shield behind the front bumper standard? Mine is missing, just wondering if I should look for one for future use. Does someone have a picture and how does it mount?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Re: KB-1 Front Gravel Shield

Here is a pic of my red truck's gravel shields. There are tabs on the back that bolt to the bumper brackets.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 am

The splash guards/gravel shield really is a "must", they are like a base for the Art Deco grill bars. My truck is missing the guards too but I have located a set and will pick them up soon..........Is it a two piece item or all one piece?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:42 am

Is it a stock item? Mine is missing too.

1949KB1

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Did these only come out on the KB series or were they on the earlier K's as well.

Trevor
Attachments
20140303_140934 cropped.jpg
My 1944 KS5 doesn't have one
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:39 pm

But this KB5 with the earlier KS5 axles and wheels fitted does have it.
Attachments
1948  KBS5  Inter..JPG
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Worthy, they are 2 pieces, the ones from a K and KB-1, K and KB-2 and K and KB-3 will fit, The ones on the KB-5 and larger are different.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm

first front splash pans as they normally referred were only offered on the kb series.
next i am not 100% positive.
how ever i believe like most all parts for the k/kb series they were an added cost item.
so there for not all k/kb 1 thru 3 would have come from the factory with them.
i also tend to believe this based on my own personal experience of parting out over 13 k/kb 1 thru 5.
as i have had 3 are 4 kb front bumpers with front bumper bracket and on these the bumper bracket did not have the holes drilled the factory mounting tabs that are nesacery for mounting the splash pans to the front bumper bracket mounting tabs.
grant it could be that the bumper bracket was from a ks as they did not have front splash pans as an option.
how ever it highly doubt it this trucks were very very old and every thing was original even though 80% are better of the parts were beyond use either do to major damage are rust as i live in the pacific north west aka rust city usa.
another thing that makes me believe that they were an option/add cost is because pappy from Vance garage told me the exact same thing.
plus if you read the parts books for the k/kbs you will see allot of items were special add cost and not stock equipment.
continuing on when it comes to the kb5 and larger i have never seen one with out the front splash pans nor have i heard of any not having a kb5 are larger with out front splash pans.
so that leaves me to believe that the kb6 and lager had front splash pans as a factory item on all kb5 and larger trucks unlike the smaller kb/1 thru 3.
how ever i could be wrong as i do not nor do i claim to know all there is to know about the k/kb series.
Robertkb48
continuing on i have parted over 13 k/kb 1 thru 5s and have had 3 are 4 of kb 1 thru 3 front bumpers with bumper brakets there were not drilled for the front gravel/ bra

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:20 pm

I have a set for a KB5,, I dont have any on my K1 as I dont even have a IHC front bumper however if I were to get a IHC bumper I would likely make a set of splash pans. Not much to them and I do have bead roller. For some of you needing the pans this may a good excuse to get yourself a bead roller...

Return to K and KB