overflow

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:33 am

overflow

Does anyone add a overflow tank to their rad on their K or KB...My rad just has a overflow tube that squirts antifreeze on the ground? I don't have any overheating issues, top up the rad and it levels itself out by peeing coolant on the ground as soon as I shut the engine off. I am using a 4.3 chevie engine, not the tire shredding Green Diamond although my rad is a rebuilt stock rad. My concern is my engine in my daily driver pooched so I may have to drive this for a couple weeks,,getting chilly up here in the Great White North,,I do have a block heater on the engine..

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:59 am

Re: overflow

Put in a temp over flow bottle, should be able to pick one up any pick a part. better than having it go on the ground. Stock radiator, so stock 7lb cap? At the least will catch the "overflow" from expansion.
Just my thoughts,
Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 am

I looked inside the rad with a flashlight,,the coolant is just out of view,,it's only down about 1 1/2" from top of tank so now I know how to check coolant level in my truck so I won't bother with an overflow tank.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 am

as long as the tops of the tubes are covered it should be fine. If not add fluid, cause it can't flow.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:35 pm

The correct level on an old, non-expansion tank system like that would be full with the coolant at operating temp. That would leave the level down a couple of inches when cold.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Return to K and KB