K-7 fuel transfer tank

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 24, 2023 4:08 pm

K-7 fuel transfer tank

I made a set up for my K-7 to supply off road diesel for my tractor. I don't use enough to justify having a "farm tank" serviced by a fuel supplier. When I was running my 9670's and Marmon I would just pump some fuel out of those.
I wanted to put an under bed tank, but that was where the hydrovac was, so I had to relocate it under the pass door where it should be. Then I took a 50 gal step tank and mounts from a Fleetstar I cut up. Add in a fuel water seperator / strainer off a British bus and a 6 volt Carter fuel pump clone and I am in business.
I have a bulkhead fitting on the side of the bed, screw in a hose nipple and hose, turn on the switch and I can pump into my tractor. I doubt I'd go through 50 gal in a year of ORD, but I keep it half full, and can drive to town when it gets low for some more. Beats 5 gal
Attachments
CIMG3868.jpeg
tank small.jpeg
pump and strainer.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 24, 2023 6:38 pm

Re: K-7 fuel transfer tank

Nice job! Good use of those "someday I'm gonna need it" parts lol Sure beats lugging and hoisting those 5 gal jugs for sure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 24, 2023 6:54 pm

hardest part was the strainer, ports are British Standard Parallel Pipe thread and the fittings that I had were British Standard 30 deg flare. Fortunately I had a section of tubing that had the mating parts. I had to heat and remove then expand the tubing before braising the ends on the Bundyflex. I am happy with how it turned out. Likely would have been cheaper to forgo the CAV strainer for a spin-on filter head, but I like the glass bowl.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 26, 2023 9:12 am

Yesterday I loaded up two 100# Propane tanks and took them in to get filled. So the truck was Tri Fueled (Not really) but was carrying Unleaded, Off road diesel and Propane! First time I had it out with all the modifications, With the saddle tanks, I put a tailpipe on the muffler so it exited under ther rear axle. Now the roar from the fan is the loudest noise from the engine.
Both LP tanks were made in the '40's so age appropriate for the truck. The earlier one had a higher empty weight than the newer one but I bet both weigh more than tanks made today, which may explain why they are still serviceable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:14 pm

Put another 50 gal step tank on the other side to hold gasoline for the truck. Now both side match, one for ORD and one for Gasoline. I was having trouble with the tank that it did have for gas, sometimes it seamed like the pick-up tube was cracked. When I hooked up the new tank, with new pick-up tube, it was easy to prime. Time will tell if the problem was the old tank or not.
Attachments
CIMG3896.jpeg
Gasoline tank

Return to K and KB