Aluminum radiator

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Aluminum radiator

Anyone using an aluminum radiator? If so; pros and cons ?
Thanks,
BK 1

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: Aluminum radiator

Bobby K1 wrote:Anyone using an aluminum radiator? If so; pros and cons ?
Thanks,
BK 1

I am using the Champion Radiators unit for my KB truck. They are sold on Ebay and on the internet. I think it is about $230. now. It is shaped to replace the oem IH one. They also make them to replace the later year trucks too. I am running a Chevy small block and not the original engine. It is a 3 row radiator and I am using an electric fan. It keeps the engine cool and is lightweight compared to the old brass and copper one. I can't think of any cons. It works perfectly for my setup. If you have the original Green Diamond engine, you will need to add a fan shroud. Mine came with the trans oil cooler too and I just plugged the fittings since I am using a 5 speed manual.
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:25 pm

I have one waiting to go into my KB-3 from Champion. Can't comment on performance yet but it sure is shiny and the price is right compared to restoring an original. Stickman 207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:21 am

there's a used one on ePay right now Hunert bucks start bid, 160 buy it now, good deal. (not mine, but I may bid)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/international-k ... 9W&vxp=mtr
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi captain Bob. I am running a stock GD214. Why do you think it necessary to use a fan shroud ?

Thanks,
Bob K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:18 pm

most of the so called experts will say to use a shroud to optimize cooling. it kind of depends on whether are experiencing overheating. if so then a shroud will help. here is a bit of info.
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ac-fa ... -flow.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks for the input Resto. Not yet sure if I'm going to go aluminum. Depends what the quote is from the radiator shop to fix original. I'm thinking that if I get involved with a shroud that I will have to do something with my single bladed fan.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:21 pm

KB-1 didn't use a shroud, never had overheat issues in the 25 yrs. I drove my KB-1, however International did add a shroud with L series on,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:30 pm

I have one of the Champion radiators in my truck with the GRD 214. My truck had the wrong radiator in it when I got it and tended to run warm. Now, the temp needle might as well be painted on the gauge at 160. Never gets hot, even on 90+ degree summer days. The only drawback IMO is that it's glaringly obvious that it's an aftermarket radiator. I may paint the top tank black to help it blend in a bit.
'48 KB-1 Service Truck, '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Dually Flatbed
'55 Willys CJ5 Jeep, '49 Chevy 3600 Deluxe
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks all for the good information regarding radiators. Just got the radiator back from the shop. It tested with a good flow and had no visible leaks and someone, previously had soldered and closed off four tubes but the radiator guru said to leave them as they are.

History; rust around spark plug holes due to leak in thermostat housing, low water in radiator. Added a 180 thermostat and solved the leak. Very slow filling radiator and when the thermostat opened it would spill over blowing right by a 7 lb pressure cap that was on the radiator when I got the truck.

Several well meaning folks had theories from; "don't fill the radiator as high" to " do away with the pressure cap ". So, after all these discussions I reinstalled the radiator ,installed a 160 degree thermostat, replaced the pressure cap with a non pressure cap and will watch the action later today.

I did learn that there is a cap that will allow a recovery bottle to be used without much fuss..we'll see.

Bobby k1
Next

Return to K and KB