Great project base

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:39 am

Great project base

Found this while surfing. I think it would be a great project base to start from. I don't have the ambition right now, but boy could someone make a nice rig out of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141948436345?item=141948436345&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Re: Great project base

There are pictures of this frame or a similar one on this forum. I read every post in the K and KB section and it's in here somewhere.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:15 pm

37 D2 Pickup - restored
76 Scout II Terra - restored
74 International 200 4x4 - restoring
2011 F350

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:35 pm

What I see is a great pile of obsolete junk. Unless a person gets their enjoyment from endless chasing of next to impossible to find parts..................... I can see some value in building a museum piece when some sort of correctness in needed, but. I can see a project getting hung up on unobtainium parts and the fun factor getting lost really quickly.
There are at least two sides to that Rare factor. Rare means no parts or custom made parts that are difficult to get. Rare also means very few persons will know enough about your project to form an intelligent question. In the end, keep it shinny counts for more.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:49 pm

His opening price is about as much as it worth. The axle ratio makes it fairly useless. When he was posting here, he thought it was a bigger truck (it wasn't) and everything was "special" and "rare". I remember us have a difference of opinion about the "ratio adaptor" for the speedo. The Coleman parts would be worth the $500 to someone with another Coleman. There isn't enough there that's useable to swap it to a regular KB -6 or -7 and make it 4wd.
The frame is a-6 to judge by the rear spring hangers, doesn't have the -7 hangers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:27 am

Interesting. I missed the previous thread on this. I would tend to agree that it would be a massive project, but then, I also love a challenge. In any case, I found the setup interesting. One thing for sure, I don't have the ambition, time, or money to put this one back together, but boy, I still think it would be neat........ :m03104:

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:00 am

If one was truly intent on a big, cumbersome IHC 4x4, it would be easier to find a parked Sno-Go or FWD. There was a pair in Idaho last year for $6000 asking price, and much less I'm sure if anyone had shown real interest. IHC Comfo-Vision (L/R/S) cabs, Red Diamond engines, heavy 4x4 parts, and a couple giant Continental gas engines for the blower drives. Still a huge undertaking for novelty purposes only, but I get it at a certain level.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:42 pm

I live 80 miles from him, have two K's in the approximate size (K-7's) and wouldn't consider it for 1/2 the opening bid. The use is very limited, and the 4wd really effect the stance and fit of the body on the truck. You could buy a mil IHC from that vintage and swap parts and have a better truck. Has some value to a Coleman collector but not much outside that.

Return to K and KB