KB-3 On the Road Again

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:46 pm

KB-3 On the Road Again

I had been wanting a 1940s model truck for quite some time and was prepared to do a full restoration. I was not looking for any particular brand of old truck but I have always been partial to Internationals since I was a kid. In June 2013, I got real lucky and came across this 1947 IH KB-3. After some haggling the price seemed right so I bought her. She had been fully restored to original in 1992 but had been sitting in an old barn in Wisconsin for the past 12 years. Overall she was in really good condition for her age but after years of sitting the brakes, oil seals and gas tank were shot...otherwise the body, engine and driveline were all good. Over the past 3 months I completely overhauled the braking system (new master, wheel cylinders, brake lines, brake shoes and turned the drums), fuel pump, carbuerator and water pump. I replaced the rear axle seals, u-joints, oil filter/lines, battery, put fresh rubber on those old split rims and changed all the fluids. I'm still waiting on my new gas tank. Last weekend I was determined to take her out for a spin so I took an old boat gas tank, installed an inline filter, hooked up the gas line and cranked her up...that GRD 214 turned over and purred like a kitten. That was such a sweet sound and a hugh relief! I took her on a 20 mile drive around town with no problems. It's been a lot of years since I've had to double clutch but it came back to me fairly quick. Attached are couple of pictures.

The International and KB-3 Emblems are little worse for the wear (i.e., missing pins, corroded, etc.) and I would like to replace. I am not necessarily looking for perfectly restored emblems but ones that are in better shape than what I have. If any IHC Member has or knows of anyone who has any International and KB-3 Emblems that they are willing to sell I would be interested in hearing from you. You may contact me at kwcperch(at)gmail(dot)com.

Thanks,
Keith
Denton, Texas
Attachments
47 IH KB3 - 12.jpg
47 IH KB3 - 12.jpg (4.4 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
47 IH KB3 Avatar.jpg
47 IH KB3 Avatar.jpg (4.04 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
Last edited by kwcrandall on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1947 KB3

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: Looking for KB3 Emblems

well this sucks! I can't enlarge the pictures. The truck looks great from what I can see. Possibly consider trying one of the better chrome paints to restore your emblems. Some of that chrome paint looks real,,oh i see the pins are missing.. you could glue them on.. Cruise-a-days are a great substitute. Are you having a gas tank built? We need more pictures,,interior, rear , box, thanks for posting. Photobucket is easy for posting pictures

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:42 am

I set a watch on ebay using the advanced search function and finally got a really nice set of KB-1 emblems for $35. It did take almost a year for them to pop up. Good luck!
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 pm

i have been looking for those kb 1 emblems for 2 to 3 years now. i was not aware of an advanced search feature. thanks for the heads up.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Not sure if he still has them, but KB48 had a set of KB1 emblems to go. If you still need a set of KB3's, send me a message.
Magihc
[b]I am Back![/b]

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 pm

I have 2 KB 3 emblems if needed

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: KB-3 On the Road Again

I want to thank everyone that replied to my post for KB-3 Emblems. I purchased a set of NOS KB-3 Emblems from LB a couple of weeks ago so I'm no longer in the market for these emblems.

I very appreciative to be a part of the OldIHC Community and the help that everyone is freely willing to give.

Regards,
Keith
1947 KB-3
1947 KB3

Return to K and KB