R180 ( 184 ) Parts and Engine Removal

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 pm

R180 ( 184 ) Parts and Engine Removal

Folks, I am getting ready to head to the desert and pull some parts off an old 1954 R180 ( 184 on door tag ). I have two questions as follows:

1) Does any one have a service manual or anything on the procedures to pull the motor which is a 308? Is there anything special that I should know? How hard is it to pull apart the engine from the trans? Should I split the engine from the bell housing, or the bell housing from the trans? Any advise would be welcomed.

2) Since the the truck is going to get scrapped, if anyone needs any small parts off an R180 let me know and I can see if they are there and can pull them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: R180 ( 184 ) Parts and Engine Removal

Do not have the answer to your question on pulling the motor. Just want to speak up for the thought of pulling other small parts(if you have the time and space) Things I am sure you have seen others asking for, like door handles, knobs, inside sun visors(if good) International script,/cab designation, I think you get the Idea. I am always advocating for saving the "smalls" on anything that is going to scrap.
These are just my thoughts.
Pull the radiator just for more forward motion when you go to pull the motor out
Oh, and dropping the trans from the bell is probably easier, unless you can get to all bell bolts.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:54 am

Have not got a answer on pulling the motor. In specific, a list of tools need would be good. The truck is in the middle of the Mojave desert 150 miles from the house. I have never pulled a motor of this type before and I was just wondering if any unique tools are required. I am assuming I can just pull the bolts from the bell housing and pull the trans away from the bell housing?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:12 am

make sure you take a cheater bar with you just in case. Take a selection of sockets and wrenches from 7/16 thru at least 1" if possible. You will need your engine hoist.
If you have removed the radiator, and have the hoist hooked up to the engine, you should be able to undo the motor mounts and those trans bolts and Just pull the engine forward, leaving the trans and the rest of the drive line in place. If the motor is all you are taking out. If you have a strong enough hoist and want to pull motor and trans, you will need to unbolt the motor and then the trans from the cross member it rests on and the drive line from the trans. Also need to take the shifter off. Motor weighs in at around 680 pounds and the trans adds another 100+. If you are working on dirt, have a sheet of 3/4 ply to have your hoist on, or "dirt" capable wheels. I know I am not that much help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

you might also be prepared to battle some rust and stuck bolts. WD40, or other, would be good, and maybe some vise grips, channel locks, screw drivers. it might also be good to take a cold chissle and ball peen hammer, and a hacksawl. doing that stuff i much prefer a really full tool bag with more than i need. plan for the unplanned.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:23 am

I have a service manual that covers that . I will look at it when I get to the barn and give you a call this morning . Call me if you run into trouble .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:38 am

GOOD FIND on the motor !!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 pm

my favorite tool in addition to above listed is a cordless sawzall with extra batteries and blades, a car charger for batteries is good too.

if the truck is gonna get scrapped anyway, cutting thru or around stubborn bolts is sometimes faster.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:21 pm

good point, and nice tool to have. since i don't have one of those it would be hard for me to inlcude it.

Return to K and KB