Dim headlights PartII

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 am

Dim headlights PartII

My '49 KB2 has some very dim headlights. I posted this problem a few weeks back and have now found the time to act upon some of the suggestions. The first was to make sure I am getting 6v to the headlights. I have a multimeter, but need a little electrical 101. What pin would be carrying the positive and which would carry the negative (See photo)? I'm getting various readings on my multimeter and I'm sure it is due to an incorrect probe placement.

I also noticed that the headlight (Sylvania 6006)-a 6v lamp-was manufactured in 1999. Could the age of the lamp also be a reason for the dim light?

Thanks for any input here.
Attachments
image.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Dim headlights PartII

pinkfloyd wrote:My '49 KB2 has some very dim headlights. I posted this problem a few weeks back and have now found the time to act upon some of the suggestions. The first was to make sure I am getting 6v to the headlights. I have a multimeter, but need a little electrical 101. Keep in mind that it should be a 6 volt POSITIVE ground What pin would be carrying the positive and which would carry the negativeIt has been a long time since I messed with the lights, but I think the center will be the ground. look on your headlight plug wires, follow the one to "ground" That is the correct pin to put your positive lead of your multimeter to. (See photo)? I'm getting various readings on my multimeter and I'm sure it is due to an incorrect probe placement.MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD GROUNDS all the way around(that is generally the main issue with poor performance, even if the ground looks good, it may not be making good connection

I also noticed that the headlight (Sylvania 6006)-a 6v lamp-was manufactured in 1999. as long as it lights it is goodCould the age of the lamp also be a reason for the dim light?This is an incandescent bulb: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ier=373886 Not all that bright to begin with, there are halogen headlights available

Thanks for any input here.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:47 am

If Lloyd's suggestions don't improve the output enough for you, consider installing relays. They decrease the voltage drop. Here's a good page explaining the difference:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... ghts.shtml
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Ground, ground, ground, and more ground. 6v headlights will do just fine if they are getting 6v, AND they have a good, clean, solid ground. ON the top of the grille, the 2 outside screws that hold the junction block down are the ground wires..............your grille has to have a solid ground to the chasis/frame, then you have to have good, clean ground at the junction block.

Just like IH used to put on their tractor fuel caps, "use clean fuel and keep it clean". I'll modify it for this instance, "check for good ground and keep it good"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:27 pm

sometimes the dimmer switch can also be a problem. Grounds 1st. as they are most common problem. H-4 headlights with 55/60 watt 6 volt bulbs work well but draw more then stock, recomend 12 ga (min) wireing if you are running them

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 pm

I found the problem and it is a bit embarrassing. I am still learning about this truck I acquired last July and did not realize there is a floor switch to toggle high and low beam. I knew the lamp was capable of both, but did not know the switch was there and that all I had to do was pull back the floor mat and there she was. I switched over to high and it puts out a shine that isn't a high beam by today's standards, but plenty bright to get home on a dark night.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:25 am

Wait till you have a vehicle that has Two "push" switches on the floor! One on the left and one by the gas pedal.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 am

When they first moved the dimmer switch to the turn signal it caused my cousin to have a terrible accident one night.

A car was coming and he tried to dim the headlights and got his left foot tangled up in the steering wheel. :rotflol:

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:53 am

Ok, so what is the one by the gas? Hmm? Took a lot of Skill to stall a manual truck on a hill and try to start it, without rolling back! Mash all things on the floor at the same time. I loved my 46 Cheby pickup.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

My KB2 had a floor starter, too. Luckily the parts of MN and OH that I drove it in didn't have many hills to speak of. I thought the floor starter was cool.

I think the fact that pinkfloyd can own up to misplacing his dimmer switch without a bunch of flack and ridicule is one of the great things about oldIHC. Well, maybe some minor ribbing :roll: .

Can you imagine the follow up comments he'd get if he posted that on some other sites?

We've all been there and will be again. Shoot- I go there so often I consider it a second home! :lol:
Next

Return to K and KB