1947 Kb-1 Quesiton

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 pm

1947 Kb-1 Quesiton

Hi There,

I just purchased a 1947 KB-1 International. Always loved the lines so I bought a myself a project truck. The previous owner has included a series of parts for the motor and other little odds and ends. I wanted to do a restoration. However, I read one guy who said he motor should not exceed 3400 rpms for extended period of time (5 minutes) and the max speed was somewhere around 40 mph on a refurbished stock KB-1 System. Is this true? I live in Southern California and would love to make this a fun weekend driver. Nevertheless, if it maxes out at 40 mph, it looks like I am going to need to do more of a hot rod approach.

I guess I am looking for accounts from guys who own KB-1’s who have restored them and have driven them. Are they just museum pieces, or could I drive 50 miles to a car show at 60-70mph?

Guys, thanks for any input and your time to read my “New Guy/Freshman” questions.

-David

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: 1947 Kb-1 Quesiton

Yup, top speed, about 45 MPH, and I wouldn't want to do that for hours on end. These were made was 35-40 was cruising! If you want to go highway speed, you need to consider changing the ratio in the rear end, and probably swapping out the engine. I chose to do a restoration on my 1949 KBS5, and my top speed is going to be 47 MPH at 3200 RPM's on the engine. That is governed speed. Most of my travel will probably be at 40 MPH. Was my choice, and I am fine with that.

If you want 60-70, you need different engine, tranny, and rear end. Minimally, engine and tranny.

My opinion.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:02 pm

a taller geared rearend will get you up to 55-60, but you will still be overworking the motor,

I went thru a few GRD motors with a newer rear end, eventually went to newer motor,& transmission.

alot of "newbies" go from a lil Honda car that hauls ass at max RPMs to a old truck and wonder why it sounds like it's gonna blow up, cause it is at over 50.

a stock truck also requires a mind set to go with it, they will run forever and are fun to putter around in,

but if you want jump into the fast lane and race people off the green light, then best to put a small block chebby, 700r4 and 9 inch rear end, or some equivalent modern set up,
keep in mind if you do this, you are now flying around in a truck with close to 70 yr. old technology suspension, brakes and steering,

done well, a hot rod KB is a nice truck, just tossing a small block in and flooring it, is potential safety hazard.

I had K-3 with a 400 small block/turbo350 trans, done by someone else, nothing else was upgraded, it was a wreck waiting to happen, got rid of it.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:06 pm

I think my K-1 with the Ford 351W is also a wreck waiting to happen.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Speaking out of turn, if you do the upgrade of a mid 90's explorer rear end with taller gears, possibly going from a t-9 trans to the t98 you might eek out around 55-60MPH, that would possibly keep you out of the "red" zone of RPM. These trucks were made for work, and the engines were made to sustain a reasonable RPM ALL DAY LONG. They are not quiet, they are not fast, the tech is old and even the changes I suggests are daunting IF you have never done anything like it before. Rear end swap will require some cut and re-weld of perches, an adapter from your original drive line to the new axle. Upgraded brakes on just the back would probably warrant a change in Master cylinder to dual chamber. Transmission change might get by with just the "bell" housing part of the two transmissions being changed, with a little modification to the older bell to except the "newer" trans.(I may be off on this, others will speak up.) If you put in a new "heart" and trans, YOU will need to upgrade the Brakes all around, no questions asked about that, other than how and how much. There are many ways to upgrade the front, search the threads and ask questions. None of this is Cheap, Oh and when you do upgrade, do not forget to take care of your gauges and senders, Originals "might" work on 12 volt, but do not bet on it. Once you start down that path, keep going and be sure to offer up the parts you do not use to others, as some are hard to find. MOST important of all, IT IS YOUR TRUCK, build it the way YOU want. I always suggest to try it as close to original as possible, then once you have experienced it, then you can make an informed decision on what you want. 6 Volt is good, just make sure grounds are good also, NEW 0 or 00 cables are a must.
Just me rambling and as always, I only repeat what I have seen and heard from the great Folks on the Site.
Lloyd

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Guys,

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. Can't wait to post some pics of the resto.

David

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Back in the late 70's, I put a ford 8" rear axle in my 48 KB-2 with 3.55 gears. I drove it that way for a lot of years with no trouble, ran 65 on the freeway but took a mile to get up to speed.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Since IH started losing market share to Ford, Chevy and Dodge back in the late ‘40’s and made fewer trucks, I think it’s a crime to rat-rod one out. I think it’s even a bigger shame to put an engine and/or drivetrain from one of those companies in an original truck—especially if everything is still intact, in working condition or restorable. Think of it this way: if you want to save money on gas, buy a small car with a 4 cylinder. If you want to drive on the highway at 75MPH, get a later-model truck that’s designed to travel at those speeds. Otherwise, enjoy tooling around town a little slower in a really cool truck that’ll get you looks and elicit conversations every time you take it out...

International had rock-solid engines and equipment that were designed for the era—to work hard, haul stuff, last a long time, be easily repaired with pliers and bailing wire and would run on most anything that would burn. As an example, my ‘49 KB-2 sat for over 50 years under a lean-to in Kansas and, after I cleaned some mouse crap from under the seat, replaced the gas tank and fixed a couple chewed-up wires, it started and drove like it had been sitting for less than a week. While certainly more comfortable and faster, I’d like to see any newer car sit for a couple of years and start without having to replace most of the electronics, injectors, plastic stuff or whatever.

I’m guessing that 20 years from now, the KB’s that are still in all-original condition will be worth quite a bit since they’ll be getting more and more rare. Of course, if it won’t be able to be plugged in, drive itself or be controlled with an iPhone, it’ll probably be crushed...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:33 am

good opinions by all. personally, my 49 KB1 was original, very much so, running, mostly complete. I made the decision, after an internal debate with myself, to jettison all the original drive train and running gear and go with something that would do what I want, and that is drive in the fast lane and handle well. So that is what I am doing, still in progress. After all, it is my truck and I can do with it what I want. and I don't besmirch any body else for doing what they want with their truck.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

I ran a kb1 stock around Portland Oregon for a few years in the early 2010's. I hit 65 a few times but that was pushing it. 50-55 was about the top speed for me. The limiting factor was never the motor or the rear end. Play in the steering box / wheel and suspension can make little potholes and ruts on the freeway dangerous.
Next

Return to K and KB