I am stupid....

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 pm

I am stupid....

Ok, I am kicking myself over and over again. However, need some advice. I got the cab on, but I forgot to put the tube over the steering shaft. tube won't fit to go on (too long, not enough clearance in the cab). I can certainly lift the cab again and will if I have no alternatives. However, I was thinking I might be able to pull the steering shaft from the gear box, and possibly get it on.

I know there was a thread around this, but could not find it. Can anyone tell me how to disassemble the steering box or point me to the link? I took the 4 bolts out and got it to work out to a point, then it stops. Do I have to take the side cover off? Is there anything else? I might just punt and lift the cab again temporarily.

Help!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: I am stupid....

You're not stupid, Tom.
How hard is it to lift the cab back up?
I think I'd rather remove strg box than disassemble it?
I always hate the steering thrash! The column and wheel are always hung up or causing problems on cab removal/install.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:38 pm

well, 6 bolts and the cab is off. 4 bolts and 1 tie rod, and the steering box is off. Might attempt the steering box first. If no joy, then off comes the cab. good news is, it is early on since I just got the cab on on Sunday, and haven't done a whole lot specific to it since then. I just will need additional helpers for that, which I won't need if I can get the steering box off.

Film at 11.............. ;)

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Tom, you might need to remove the pitman arm to get the shaft out of box. I did. there are a few shims too. I'd just remove the cab than mess with the box.

I can come over and help if you live in the Twin Cities.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:33 pm

If its a Ross box, it's not hard to remove the steering shaft from the box.

Take the side cover off, push the pitman arm inwards ( you may have to take off the drag link to do this) then it should disengage the worm gear enough to be able to slide it out the top of the box.

HOWEVER I would center everything up and mark the steering wheel position somehow, like a piece of tape at the top of the wheel. That way when you reassemble everything, the worm gear should be in proper position and it should steer properly and not bind up or be all wonky.

If its not a Ross box, forget everything I said. :whistling2:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:02 am

Well, problem solved. I offered a couple of malt based beverages to 2 buddies. They showed up, and we lifted the cab up enough to slide the tube on. took about 30 mins: bolts off, cab up, tube on, cab down. bolts on.

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go that way when I looked at what it would take to remove the Pittman arm. OH well, I am sure I will have 1-2 more of these moments before she is all back together.

thanks again guys.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:56 am

If only two more you are doing quite well. Hard to remember the sequance days later, never mind months or years. Don't be hard on yourself!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:31 am

Them Malt based beverages do wonders for gathering help, as long as the work is done first, then relax after!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Yes, the promise of a cold beer does wonders. Yeah, I am a bit hard on myself at times. However, I did learn to admit my mistakes, and don't mind saying I goofed. I have a lot assembled since last update pics, Will probably post some tonight or tomorrow. My goal is to have her on the road by 9/1. It will be a stretch, but totally possible. Most of what I need to do now is the tedious stuff: wiring harness, gauges, vaccum lines, etc. going to run without the heater for now, will take too much time to disassemble and repaint. so, I'll just bypass the heater for now, and put that on later. I have to run the wiring to the tail light, wipers, cab marker lights, so that will take a bit of time tomorrow. Going to focus on wiring for the next 2-3 days.

Return to K and KB