intake & exhaust assy.

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:28 pm

intake & exhaust assy.

I am at the point of mounting my intake and exhaust manifolds. Can anyone tell me if the mounting bolts use washers and or lock washers. I have nothing to reference to because I did not do any of the disassembly.
Thanks
Daryl

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: intake & exhaust assy.

Exhaust usually doesn't use split lockwashers because the heat cycle takes them out pretty quick.
I don't see how you can wrong with the SAE(?) flatwashers. Mi dos centavos.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 pm

You didn't say what engine or model number, so it is hard to know what you have.
Most inportant is the sequance you use to install and tighten.
On the BLD washers are used.
In case you don't know, I'll lay out the sequance
install a new gasket between the two manifolds, install the intake on the exhaust and run the nuts down FINGER TIGHT ONLY, install the assembly on the head, tighten the manifold to head bolts working from the center out, only when these are tight, go ahead and tighten the two manifolds together.
NEVER try to re-install manifold pairs that have not been seperated. The two manifolds must be allowed to seperatly find their seat to the head, most bolts/studs or manifold breaks are caused by ignoring this procedure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:51 am

I will add if you get your manifolds resurfaced, you need to have them bolted together,

usually surfacing is done by hand on a big belt, if each one is done separate, they can be off plane with each other when bolted to engine/head.

that can lead to vacuum/exhaust leaks or cracks rather quickly
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 am

My surfacer is the flat cement floor!
Not too good for cylinder heads but great for old ex manifolds. Add red silicone snd voila!
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:57 pm

bedrockjon wrote:I will add if you get your manifolds resurfaced, you need to have them bolted together,

usually surfacing is done by hand on a big belt, if each one is done separate, they can be off plane with each other when bolted to engine/head.

that can lead to vacuum/exhaust leaks or cracks rather quickly

The manifolds are made seperate, and maching one or both of them independantly will not be a problem if the correct procedure is used when re-mounting them to the head. even if machine them as one, you can end up with stress in the assembly, which is why the must be assembled to head with the bolts/nuts that hold them together only finger tight, it allows for any mis alignment, once tight to the head, then thighen them together. There is a reason that the intermaifold gasket is always in the manifold gasket set.
Any planeing should be done on a surface grinder, and not with a belt sander as a belt can not true a surface only smooth it. I know, there are some out there that do use a belt, but that cannot give a true surface.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:02 am

If you surface just one manifold or one at a time on a surface grinder there is no garrentee that they will remain true in plane with each other they should be finger tight bolted to each other to stay true. If not there will be stress when bolted up tight to motor then to each other that is just a fact
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:04 am

Cornbinder and bedrock, I just removed my complete manifold assembly to paint the block. I have not separated the 2 sections and plan to just bolt it right back on. Sounds like I am going to have to separate them, which worries me, as I already twisted off the 2 outboard studs in the block. Got them drilled out and retapped just fine, so no crisis there except for additional time. I would not be looking forward to twisting off the bolts in the manifold........although I do have a NOS exhaust manifold that I could use, and keep the old one on the shelf as a spare (it is in good shape).

I was going to just bolt her back on. am I going down the wrong path?

ps. I will also probably have to make the gasket between the 2 of them. I make a lot of my own, any suggestion as to what material to use for it? Graphited exhaust stock? cork? Paper?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 am

bedrockjon wrote:If you surface just one manifold or one at a time on a surface grinder there is no garrentee that they will remain true in plane with each other they should be finger tight bolted to each other to stay true. If not there will be stress when bolted up tight to motor then to each other that is just a fact

You dont leave them finger tight, you tighten them together AFTER tightening to the head. That way they WILL find their own seat to the head seperataly. the inportant thing is for them to be tight to the head, and that is done by allowing each to seat seperately from the other. They don't have to be true to eachother, as they can seat seperatly if the correct procedure is used. The Exhaust manifold esp "grows" as it gets hot and shrinks as it cools, so some movement even when bolted to the head.
As stated before, they are made seperate from the mfg, and can be replaced seperately, they are not a mated pair.
Tom, yes, you are going to have to seperate them or risk breaking studs/bolts or manifolds. You can cut the nuts off and replace them esaly enough.
The procedure I layed out is the factory procedure, and in fact, is the same procedure listed of any in line engine.
As to the gasket, it should be in the kit that supplied the manifold to head gasket, It has to seal exhaust, so paper is out. should be high temp gasket.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks to all. I have the manifolds apart, cleaned, painted, and ready to assemble. I only had a manifold gasket for the block to manifold, I did not have a kit. I bought some high temp gasket stock, and made the gasket for between intake /exhaust. She'll be back on today. All 4 bolts did shear off, but I am getting so good at drilling and chasing busted bolts, I took it in stride! ;) Plus, having a NOS exhaust manifold on the shelf didn't hurt either (ie. I cheated and used the new manifold). I work getting the twisted off bolt out of the original this winter.
Next

Return to K and KB