Tranny slips out of 4th Gear

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Re: Tranny slips out of 4th Gear

if you want to keep it stock, watch craigslist, you can find a T-9 pretty cheap, for P. brake, a T98 from a IHC most likely have it's brake on it, mine did.

I don't think you can direct swap to a 3 speed,,or from a 3 speed to a T98 without more work, clutch disc,,etc.

I have no experience with T19 or other trans, so couldn't answer about them, I know I Never used granny first gear in my truck, so I didn't care it was non syncro
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:34 pm

I have a 3 spd floor shift trans in my KB2. Engine is the 214. I was hoping to switch to a T98 4 spd with granny low. Sounds like there is more to it than turning the face plate? The T9 would bolt in but is non-synchro, right? Thanks.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:46 pm

One more thing, the K and KB never used the T98? A 4 spd in a K or KB would only be a T9?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 am

worthy wrote:One more thing, the K and KB never used the T98? A 4 spd in a K or KB would only be a T9?

I believe you are correct. I remember reading that most of the 3-spd transmissions were column shift, and the 4-spd transmissions were T9 floor shift. I seriously considered finding a T98 to swap in my KB-2 just for the syncros in 2-4. Though, with more experience I haven't found that as necessary as I once thought. Plus, my truck is eventually getting a TH400 anyway. ;)
-Dan

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks, Dan. I think the 3 speed American trucks are 3 on the tree while the Canadian ones, that I have seen anyways, had a floor shift 3 speed and park brake is a lever beside the gear shift running cables to the rear brakes. American park brakes have the hand lever to the driveline drum brake. Others can correct me if that's not the case.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:33 am

Sooo.... If your going to all the work of replacing tranys anyways why not install a T-5? With the overdrive you would end up with a lot better road speeds. I haven't looked at how feasible this is, I'm just tossing out the idea.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:08 pm

pmsmechanic wrote:Sooo.... If your going to all the work of replacing tranys anyways why not install a T-5? With the overdrive you would end up with a lot better road speeds. I haven't looked at how feasible this is, I'm just tossing out the idea.

is a T-5 input shaft the same as T-9 and T-98, That would be the major concern, rest of it is easy,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:25 pm

bedrockjon wrote:
pmsmechanic wrote:Sooo.... If your going to all the work of replacing tranys anyways why not install a T-5? With the overdrive you would end up with a lot better road speeds. I haven't looked at how feasible this is, I'm just tossing out the idea.

is a T-5 input shaft the same as T-9 and T-98, That would be the major concern, rest of it is easy,

Well that I do not know. I do know that I could probably make it work. It shouldn't be that difficult to make or find a pilot bushing. The clutch disc should be something with the right diameter and the right splines. If nothing is available a custom disc is not hard to order. The rest is just lathe work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Here is the bolt pattern for the T5. I know I can make it work. Some of the ideas I have are shared in the previous posts. This is not "rocket surgery" (thanks B72)
A person could lay this bolt pattern out on card stock to the first "look and see". A person could lay this out and lay it against the IH clutch housing. If a T5 required bolt hole slightly overlaps and original IH bolt hole, this situation can be made less of a problem by installing a threaded stud in the OEM hole, red Loctite 262 it in place. There are a few anaerobic gels that have permanent thread locking power.
I had intended to make my layout pattern of .250 aluminium plate.
If the large centering hole in the bell is not the correct mating size for the T5, that can be shimmed or fly-cut to fit. Clutch options are many and there must be a common size to fit an Old IHC flywheel and pressure plate. If the input shaft is too long, a spacer can be made. A too short input shaft can be remedied with a carefully machined and fitted extension.
The T5 has multiple gear lever positions available. The after market industry is big.
Attachments
T5 TRANS BOLT PATTERN.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to K and KB