Raidiator

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Re: Raidiator

a GRD 233 has a 4 blade fan, will bolt right on a 214,

a KB-5 radiator will bolt right in a KB-1, has thicker core, more cooling capacity,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 19, 2021 7:27 am

KB 5 radiator and/or fan would be an easy installation but old Internationals are scares in eastern Mass. but I do appreciate the input.

Bobby K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 am

Found a four blade 233 fan for my KB1. It was a little pricey and had a little wobble when installed. I got most of the wobble out and reinstalled. It pulls a lot more air than the two blade OEM fan. Still browsing for upgrade and leaning towards a multi blade universal.

Hoping somebody on this blog may have installed one on a KB. I’ve found a 1” to 5/8” spacer/adapter that “may” allow a universal fan to be mounted. Looks like the original fan is stepped out from the water pump about 3/4” to clear the belt and pulleys.

Thoughts ?

Bobby K

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 pm

I have a 4 bladed fan on a KB5. Will this blade work on a GD 214 engine? At first glance the one on the KB5 looks different and will not work on the 214 engine. I bought the KB5 at an auction not sure what the engine is be it a 214 or something different.
I am sure they put a 4 bladed fan on a 5 for better cooling seeing as how they were a larger farmer type truck.
I have not tore the water pump and blade off yet to get a closer look to see if it would work.
Looking for any thoughts here.
Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:11 am

I also did the 2 to 4 blade upgrade a while back and I could literally hear and feel the air being pulled through where I couldn't with the 2 blade. Like BRJ said it is a bolt-in swap provided your Kb5 has an IH motor. The only differences I can see according to the parts book are the diameters. IIRC my 4 blade was an inch larger in diameter than the 2 blade but clearance wasn't a problem. I didn't have to remove the water pump either so not a big deal to remove the blades and match hole spacing and clearances.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:03 am

KB5's came with a larger displacement of the flathead that is in the smaller trucks. The bolt on parts Waterpump fan etc all will interchange. Now if it is a KB-6 or larger or someone had changed the engine to something else, then no. Some did drop the later (50's and up) small OHV six in the early trucks as a replacement engine, so if it has a valve cover on the top, it is not the original engine

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:58 am

It is is an IHC engine so this W/E i will look at tearing into it.
Thanks for information.
Previous

Return to K and KB