Raidiator

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Raidiator

I am looking at an alluinimum raidiator from champion . Has anyone used one of these in a KB 6 ? The cost looks almost to good to be true , I'm trying to sww how it would mount and the bottem outlet seems a little off .

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: Raidiator

Aluminum is o.k. , but I have always used brass/copper radiators in street cars. The only advantage you get with aluminum is lighter weight. The disadvantage is that any radiator shop in the world can solder a brass radiator if repairs are needed, not as easy with aluminum. You might want to check out Cobra Radiators. I've had great luck with them.

Added by Lloyd: http://www.walkerradiatorworks.com/
Link for Cobra Radiators

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 29, 2013 12:13 pm

there were posts on the old site about use of champion radiators. i don't recall exactly, but i believe the review was generally favorable. the advantabes of copper versus aluminum depend on what you believe from the various pros and cons. i have two cars with aluminum radiators with no problems. i think most radiators now days are more depandable than from years ago. the last time i needed a radiator repaired was back in the 70's and that was because the fan went through it.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed May 29, 2013 12:38 pm

I bought a Champion aluminum for my L-110 last August. It fit pretty darn close; I had to improvise a little, but not too much. They sent a 14 or 16 lb cap I think, so I changed that. I have not put a lot of miles on it since then but it is working fine. I’m very pleased with it so far. Hopefully one for a KB will work as well.
Sam 1950 L-110

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 30, 2013 6:12 pm

I installed one of them Champion Rads in my S-120-4X4T, I have about 800 miles on it. The rad was installed Labour Day weekend last year, seems to work well, same temp on the old gauge. I have to modify the height because the 4X4 sits higher than the 2WD it was meant to be used on. Took some time though.
Attachments
DSCI0466.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Two questions:
1)have you or anyone on this forum used one of the universal, four bladed fans ?
2)I saw several aluminum Radiators for the KB trucks for as little as $60. Anybody try one of these ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:18 pm

The four blade fans with a universal fit work really well. More blades is not a bad thing.
I prefer the fiberglass fan. A side caution. NEVER STRAIGHTEN AND REUSE A BENT FAN. When a fan blade gets bent, it will most likely form some cracks. If and when a blade comes loose it can pass through a hood. There are reports of persons being decapitated by flying fan blades. 830
https://www.ketv.com/article/fan-blade- ... -1/7635515
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Bobby, where did you find a radiator priced at $60?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:53 pm

I bought a new WALKER brass and copper radiator for my 1940 Ford. This radiator has three extra cost changes. The radiator picture shows two of the three changes. The top hose connectors are a half inch higher and the lower tank has an ATF cooler. The unseen addition, and most expensive, is the four row option. I built a separate ATF cooler and did not use it this time.
I built a heavy duty ATF cooler for the C6 in my R120 Diesel. I got the cooling fan at a BMW used parts recycler.
The cost was $965 before the taxes.
The radiator is very heavy. If I had to do this again, I would buy the aluminum radiator for much less than half the cost and about 25% the weight. Aluminum radiators are more efficient. The Ford has an electric fan.
Attachments
ATF oil cooler.jpg
BMW/Bosch cooling fan
ATF oil cooler 2.jpg
radiator shroud IHC.jpg
OEM IHC L&R fan shroud.
RADIATOR 1.jpg
1940 Ford. Walker radiator
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Re:$60 aluminum radiator . While trolling the web looking at radiators for the KB I was looking at several for around $200. I then saw some for around $60. I am very skeptical . I can not tell at this time where I saw them but I will research again and post.
Next

Return to K and KB