Horn hook up

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Horn hook up

Ok, my truck did not have a horn wired, although the horn was present. When I dismantled the steering column, no wire present either. Anyone have any pictures or info on how these puppies were wired?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Horn hook up

Oh, and another question. I bought the steering wheel repair kit from Eastwood. I think I can do this, but I am struggling with what paint to use on it, the horn button, and the shifter knob when I am ready.

any input there?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Mine literally had a single wire run all the way through the column and steering box. Out the bottom.
Build,drive. What more can I say.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 am

Thanks, I found the "exit" hole on the bottom of the steering box. Looks like this will be a fun time "fishing".

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:00 am

If you can get a string(very stout thread) into the bottom hole, you might be able to suck it up to the top and pull a wire behind it once it is there.
just a thought

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:45 am

Another member said that he just poked the wire up from the bottom and it was stiff enough to go all the way through.

You'll want to make sure that the hole is clean, though, or you'll end up pushing a bunch of crud into your steering box.

I just used plain old Rustoleum gloss black topped with clear coat on my steering wheel, but I'm not trying for a stock restoration. In retrospect, I would skip the clear. It was a huge PIA to get right- runs easily and frequently made the base coat wrinkle in spots.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Got her fished through, no problem. #12 wire works well. When ready, I'll pull it back through with the permanent wire atteched. thanks all.

Return to K and KB