1947 KB-1 needs a frame

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:53 pm

1947 KB-1 needs a frame

What mid-size pickup would be the best choose for a frame. It don't matter if it is a Ford,Chevy or a Dodge. Just don't know which way to go Thnak you.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 1947 KB-1 needs a frame

Check out either the Ford Ranger, Mid 80's I think, Also have heard that the Dakota might be a good fit. I am speaking from memory on what i have seen here in the past. Others will speak up. Is your frame shot? If in good shape, have you considered upgrades on the rear(explorer 8.8) and perhaps a Disk conversion on the front?
Just my thoughts.
lloyd

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:27 pm

The guy I bought it from cut one of the cross members. Yes but don't know what rear end to put in it. I just need a little guidance
on what way to go.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 am

Make a crossmember and keep the frame.. Rear end out of ford explorer or s10 4x4. Take a look at some K models that are sitting on newer frames,,,the box ends up being about 8" deep. Much less work to modify steering and suspension of the original frame.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 am

A guy here in N.E. Fl. is building a rat rod out of an old kb-1 and used a Chevy S-10 and it looks like a pretty good fit.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:19 pm

Is this the ratrod? Take a look at the box,,,bout 8" deep..just looks wrong and then he puts the gauges in the glove box..real driver friendly....odd looking weld at the bottom of shifter..and only $14,500.00...the kind of thing thats hacked together to make a buck...looks to me like a junkrod. JMHO
I do like the look of the truck,,but that's about it.. I wonder if he is using wheel spacers as the s10 wheel base is much narrower than we see in the pictures,,,from the looks of some of the handywork I would not be surprised if the spacers are wooden! I have never seen any of the posters on this site offer a truck for sale with any hack work,,everyone seems to take pride in doing work to the best of their abilities.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Internat ... 642wt_1167
Last edited by windigo69 on Wed May 01, 2013 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm keeping the frame. Put a new front end and putting a different rear end in. I'm not a big fan of rat rods they are taking alot of good pickups that could be restored. It is hard to find some of these pickups, it took me four years to find the right pickup. Thank you for all the help, probably will be asking for help again thank you

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 pm

​quote="IH KB1"]What mid-size pickup would be the best choose for a frame. It don't matter if it is a Ford,Chevy or a Dodge. Just don't know which way to go Thnak you.[/quote]

My IH frame was not any good, so I had no choice but to find something else. I also wanted something I could drive anywhere and parts would be easy to find.

This is a much debated subject. I chose the Dakota frame and running gear, including the 5 speed manual AX15 transmission. I am installing a Chevy 327 mildly built engine in from of the trans using a Novac adapter that is also used for Jeep conversions because they have the same trans. The wheelbase of the 1996 Dakota I chose is within 1" of the KB-1 and I get rack and pinion steering instead of the gear box in the S-10 and the frame alteration that will be necessary to either lengthen or shorten. Do some research on the HAMB forum and there is a lot of info there for the frame and engine choices. I had the 327 and liked what I had, so that was an easy choice for me. If I did not have an engine, I would have went for the 318 Dodge build. There are some things to be aware of using a second gen Dakota..for instance the wheels are 6 lug and there are not a lot of nice wheel choices for it. But..it is easy to just replace the back axles with 1st gen Dakota which are 5 lug and fit any Chevy wheel. The front is easy too by just changing the brake rotors to the 1st gen with 5 lugs 4.5 X 5.

I am using a lot of the parts from the Dakota like the pedals and linkages, ac system parts, brake system parts, front and rear lighting wiring harnesses, and probably the bench seat since it is only a couple of inches wider.
Good luck making your choice and hope it works out good for you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 01, 2013 5:11 am

I had an S10 frame so we set a K model cab on it,,,look how high the rear of the frame goes up. We realized the box of the floor would have to be raised a foot or severely modified,,,Old truck frames are not that hard to come by,, I will likely be building a frame for my other K model.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm

windigo69 wrote:Make a crossmember and keep the frame.. Rear end out of ford explorer or s10 4x4. Take a look at some K models that are sitting on newer frames,,,the box ends up being about 8" deep. Much less work to modify steering and suspension of the original frame.

i would agree. the frames on these trucks are about as stout as anyone would need. i guess if it was wrecked or rusted out, than a new frame would be needed.

Return to K and KB