Coolant filter

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:37 pm

Coolant filter

Today's project was adding a coolant filter to the '42.
Once you get into the 6-7 Gal of coolant, it pays to use a filter and SCA's over flush and replace.
Also a filter cleans continuous, and flushing does not. I draw off the block drain, and return to the lower hose connection for the heater. A wye was added to the heater return and shut off valves on the filter head.
In the past, I have added filters to trucks that didn't have them, and they would plug in the first service cycle. Once you make it past the plugging, they just require filter changes at oil change time. SCA's can be added by the filter (you can get filters pre-loaded with SCA 's) or in liquid form.
Open an engine that has a filter and been serviced at regular intervals, and you can eat off the block passages.
So far the fuel check is working well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:37 am

Re: Coolant filter

Today I took the truck out for a test drive. Wanted to make sure there were no problems with the stuff I had done.
Of most concern was if the fuel line check would "starve" the engine at full load. I took it on some hills that required WOT in 4th and it had no trouble. So I would say that it is a success.
Anyone wishing to follow in my footsteps the check is: Precision Z13041, sometimes listed as a Carter, but made in China so I doubt the Carter link.
My fuel comes from a 50 gal "Step tank" that is behind the cab, and low on the frame (under bed). The OEM fuel design is gravity flow to the fuel pump (tank above fuel pump level), so testing was important
Truck starts a lot quicker with the check, almost immediately, within one rev
Coolant filter doesn't seam to adversely effect coolant flow even at WOT, but I didn't expect it too. It draw coolant from the lowest point on the pressure side of the block, and returns to the suction side of the pump, so any "recirculating" coolant will be cool anyway.
Again ideally I would place at the bottom of the pick-up tube, but does fine at where the pick-up connection for the tank is .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:58 pm

The company I worked for had/has coolant filters on all of the vehicle's engines. The Fleet-Guard coolant filters have an additive that discourages cavitation. These filter work.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:03 pm

All my diesels had them, or were added if they didn't arrive with one. I think if you really care about long engine life that exceeds the life to overhaul, a coolant filter is cheap insurance and should be on any engine.
Whether to use SCA's depend on the material the engine is made of.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:51 pm

Without pic's it never happened
Yes, that is a Cummins filter head and bracket modified to attach to the radiator cross bar
Fuel check, would be better at the bottom of the pick-up tube.
Attachments
CIMG3925.jpeg
Fuel check
CIMG3924.jpeg
Cummins head and mount

Return to K and KB