Primer pump

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:25 am

Primer pump

Hello All; looking for feedback on a 6 volt fuel pump to be used as a primer just to assist after sitting for a spell.

Thanks,
BK

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:17 am

Re: Primer pump

I've got a rotary vane (Carter clone) 6 volt pump I used to transfer diesel from my K's step tank to my diesel tractor. I can't remember what I paid for it. works well enough. Think I got it from "Oh Really's?".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:16 pm

Thanks. I’ll do a little research. Mount close to tank or does it not matter ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:24 pm

I installed a 6v, $40 pump I purchased through Amazon . Took about an hr, maybe a little less. Mounted close to gas tank , put a toggle on bottom of dash just to the left of the steering column. Ran it for about 8 seconds after truck sat for a week and a half. Truck fired right up. Fairly quiet pump.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:17 pm

Both my K's need a prime if they sit for over a week. However I noticed a difference between the one with the OEM tank under the seat and the one with a frame mounted tank.
The one with the frame mounted tank needed priming more often than the one with the underseat tank.
I added a check valve at the tank on the frame. Time will tell if this is a solution. Ideally I would mount the check at the bottom of the pick-up tube so it would be submerged in fuel, but I don't know if I can get the stand pipe out with the tank in place.
The check valve is one sold for fuel use, but it says to use it on the pressure side of the pump. I tried sucking through it and could without much trouble.
I noticed on the truck with the frame mounted tank, that when it is parked "up hill" it drains and needs priming more often.
The fuel check valves in the pump "should" hold, but heat may soak the pump when the truck is shut down and the valves leak a bit.
Just now put the valve in and primed and started the truck. I'll check how it starts in a few days.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:08 am

Update:
I found it did loose prime if sitting long enough. I don't know if moving the check to the bottom of the pick-up tube would help. I may try that when I put a fuel sending unit in the tank. Pulling the step tanks are not a lot of fun esp if they have fuel in them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:04 pm

well I came up with a solution that works for me. Other might not like it. The truck only loses prime if it sits for many days, and much less so in colder temperatures.
So, for the once and a great while I need to prime, I pull the fuel line off from the fuel filter, and take a cheap 200cc syringe and one good pull and the fuel is drawn past the fuel pump. Re-connect the line and it is good to go. As long as the truck gets used, it starts just fine. An electric primer pump would do as good a job, but this leaves the truck stone stock.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:01 am

Cornbinder89; I admire your tenacity in trying to resolve this fuel issue and to keep everything stock. I, also wanted to keep my KB1 completely stock but my desire to use it “on demand “ pushed me astray; a 373 FORD rear end, a primer pump installed right in front of the frame mounted gas tank and after market headlight rings do blemish originality but it looks good and drives well.

Thanks for your input over the years,
Bob

Someday I’ll lean how to post a picture or two

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:47 pm

Well, if I was really period correct, I'd use a hand pump like Cummins and Detroit had "back in the day", a few strokes and off I'd go. Those pumps go for way over $100 so it will not happen, I am afraid. This works well enough for the likes of me. If I drove it every few days I wouldn't need anything, but it often sits for more than a month.

Return to K and KB