KB-2 bed style question

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 pm

KB-2 bed style question

Since I have owned this truck I have begun to pay more attention to older pickups in general, but especially other IHC's... I have noticed that several members on this forum have KB series trucks that have wooden floors in their beds. My KB-2 has a 7 1/2' bed on it and it has a corrugated steel floor in it. It is a factory floor. I am wondering now what the significance of that is. Did all the 3/4 and above trucks come with a steel floored bed or was it only related to the fact it's a 7 1/2' bed instead of the shorter version? I'm very curious about this detail.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Re: KB-2 bed style question

OK ,there were 5 or 6 different beds for the K and KB models. The IH made beds had a corrigated steel floor in a short, 6', and long bed, 7 1/2' on the 1's and 2's. The 3's had a longer bed around 9'. The IH bed has ribs in the sides.
Then you can have a Knox bed from the factory. They came in 3 flavors. Light duty grain bed, smooth sides with a wood floor, 8' with a smooth tailgate with Knox embossed in it. Then there was the medium duty with a style of diamond plate sides and tailgate with a wood floor, 8'. Then there was the heavy duty coal and gravel bed with the diamond plate sides, floor and tailgate with a coal chute in the middle of the gate.
So , no the steel floor was not only 3/4 ton and over. You could have a steel floor in the 1/2 ton short bed or a wood bed. My red 48 KB-2, 3/4 ton has the long Knox bed, smooth sides and wood floor. My yellow 48 KB-2 has the short IH bed with the steel floor, but the previous owner put a false wood bed over the steel.
Hope this helps.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Here is photo of a Knox medium duty bed and it has the wood floor, which is missing, and the chute in the tailgate.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Ok then...I reckon that answers my question then. Mine is the IH bed then.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 am

my mostly all original 49 kb1 has the steel ribbed floor.

Return to K and KB