GD 214 fuel pump

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:10 pm

GD 214 fuel pump

Hello All ; had the fuel rebuilt at Then & Now, Weymouth, Ma. A couple years ago. The pump works well but seems to drain the supply line from the carb bowl. This takes awhile so it’s not a big deal if the truck is driven frequently but after 7/8 days it takes some time to start.

I have the fender off and noticed a path under the pump where either oil or gas has removed the paint. I didn’t notice any visible leakage when running but indications of oil along that side of the engine along the top of the oil pan flair and the engine block. Not much and what the heck it’s a 74 yr old design.

I removed the pump to clean it and fit a new gasket. While blowing off the cleaner I observed gas squirting from a hole on the top half in a little alcove. I don’t know if this is a vent hole where some of the gas may be leaking.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:51 pm

Re: GD 214 fuel pump

Gas today is formulated to vaporize easily and be stored in fuel systems that are sealed. These old "open" systems, the gas evaporates from the open carb fuel bowl. Nothing you can do to prevent it from happening. Simple cranking will re-fill and start, but it takes more cranking then if started everyday or so. My K-7 can crank long enough to start at 0F. It it really bothers you, add a priming pump to fill the carb before cranking.
The pump is a different issue. If it is leaking FUEL from the vent hole than there is a leak. If it is leaking oil, it may be normal. There has to be a vent on the non gas side of the diaphragm so it can move up and down without restriction.
If it is a gas leak, yours will be the 1st Now and Then failure I have heard about. They are reputable as far as I know, and I think they would work to make it right.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:02 pm

The word "then" means "at that time" and is used to talk about when things will happen. The word "than" is used to compare things
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:26 pm

The name of the business is Then and Now, My dyslexia got it backwards, but I was referring to a business

https://www.then-now-auto.com/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:27 pm

Dropped the pump off at Then and Now and Tom ( I think the proprietor) took a quick look and established that the hole was indeed a vent , it shouldn’t be bypassing any gasoline and they will take care of it.
Pleased with their response .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:45 pm

And.. just to make it interesting it does not look like an original fuel pump from the pictures I’ve seen. It would be interesting to know from where it came and if used on another engine. There is no manufacturing info on it but it does say “ made in Canada “

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:54 pm

Bobby K1 wrote:Dropped the pump off at Then and Now and Tom ( I think the proprietor) took a quick look and established that the hole was indeed a vent , it shouldn’t be bypassing any gasoline and they will take care of it.
Pleased with their response .

Good to hear. Anybody can have a problem, how they deal with it separates the good from the bad Everyone I have talked about them has been happy with their service, and that includes me. They did my K-7 pump.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:59 pm

most engines had the original AC one with glass bowl, I have a CaRter fuel pump on my panel, same dimensions except a metal cover where bowl would be,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:16 pm

The fuel pump has a vertical feed to the carburetor with an in-line filter. When removing the pump this line was dry as the truck had not been run in over a month. The supply from the tank, however , was full but not under pressure. By lifting and tying the line off stopped draining as it was now higher than the tank outlet. Probably should close the valve at the tank .I mentioned the dry line to Then and Now when I dropped the pump off and he advised me that although though the pumps of that error work well for gasoline supply they are not very efficient as a check valve. I didn’t check the float bowl to see how much had actually evaporated also. Between that and the new gas evaporation rate I’m thinking of installing a 6 volt priming pump. Do I have to concerned re; positive ground ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:57 pm

Pulse ones shouldn't care, rotatory vane ones have two wires and connect the ground to the correct polarity.
Next

Return to K and KB