Air Compressor on a K-7 269

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:07 pm

Air Compressor on a K-7 269

Yesterday I went out to the barn to do a completely different project. While looking for somethings for that project I came across two things I had mis-placed years ago. One was the correct pulley for the compressor and the other was a NOS base for an engine fed compressor I picked up at a truck show 20+ years ago.
A friend gave me this small Midland 7.4 CFM compressor with a double pulley on it. It doesn't look like it had seen much or any use.
I changed the pulley, put a waterpump with a dual pulley from a later truck engine that had P/S. and did a mock-up of the installation.
I need to make the subframe to support the base bracket, but now all the parts are together in one place.
I don't really need to have live air on the K-7, but once I sell my Marmon, I'll have nothing capable of moving a semi trailer. I have a storage trailer I'd like to be able to move.
It is always handy to have a vehicle with air, to be able to change a tire on the road, or just to run air tools away from power.
I could make it "street legal" to pull a semi trailer by replacing the hydrovac with an air-pac booster and adding a few valves (tractor protection etc). I don't think I am going that route because moving a semi with about 100 hp today isn't something I want to do. Being able to move one on my property, however is a different story.
I know without pictures it never happened. SO here are pictures, I am doing a mock up on my spare engine. I can do the whole build on the spare engine, then transfer it over to the truck. Everything will be bolt on.
There are ports in the water pump, so I could go with a water-cooled compressor of greater volume, but for my use, the small compressor is fine. I also have a Tru Flow 500 I could put on if the small one is too small. It is a NOS unit and never run.
Attachments
NOS base.jpg
NOS base for compressor with stock tag
compressor 2.jpg
Held in place in aprox position it will reside
Compressor.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:06 pm

Re: Air Compressor on a K-7 269

nice.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Still waiting on my "miracle man", He had covid so is behind. No side covers as of yet.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:22 pm

I'm curious, side covers for what? Maybe I missed something, it happens more than it used too.

Peter

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm getting battery/Hydrovac side access panels for the cab made, I promised one to BRJ when they get made. My miracle man is running behind and they haven't delivered yet.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:57 pm

no worries, I bought what I thought was a battery side cover some time back, well was sold to me as one.

not surprisingly bolt holes are different location for both sides, so I have two hydrovac covers and no battery cover.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:52 pm

That is why I am having them made sans bolt holes so they can fit where ever you need. It reminds me I've got to get after him.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:04 pm

Thank you for the clarification. That reminds me I need to eventually get the battery side panel for my 1945 K7.
Have a good one, Peter

Return to K and KB