Transmission bearing

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:10 pm

Transmission bearing

1949 KB1 (HDS ?) three-on-the-tree shift. In the near future I will be attempting to replace the front main shaft bearing. Wondering if anyone out there knows the # of the bearing I will need.
Thanks,
Bobby K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:27 pm

Re: Transmission bearing

Check the bearing for a number. Typically, bearings have numbers on them. The number should be the same for all manufacturers.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:59 pm

I think he wanted "parts in hand" before the pulling and tear-down.
Transmission bearings are often "special" with a snap ring groove or flange. They will carry their own number (from the brg mfg) and can be crossed to another mfg if need be.
The wheel bearings on my K-7 only had IHC and carried an IHC bearing number, not a numbering that an industrial bearing would (Just simple taper rollers, but not a H, HM, or L prefix like most) SO be prepared you might need to cross them over to find a Timken, Bowers or FAG bearing number.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:56 pm

Bobby K1: The front mainshaft bearing, IHC part number 42017H, is equivalent to a Timken 208SL. This ball bearing has a metal shield on one side (faces towards engine), no shield on the inside facing surface, and a snap ring on the outer circumference. That snap ring is a beast. I caved and bought a pair of Proto J250G heavy duty snap ring pliers - makes the job effortless.
Also, when installing the bearing on the front shaft I put the new bearing in foil in a 200 degree oven and put the shaft in a freezer (probably about 5 to 10 degrees F). let it soak for half hour, and just hand pushed into place. Practice the setup so you move quickly and mind the orientation of the bearing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:33 am

You Rock D2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:40 pm

D2, thanks for the valuable information. Good to know what I’m getting myself into. I have much body work to do before I tackle the tranny so preparation will be everything.

Bobby K

Return to K and KB