Sock/Cloth oil filter replacement

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:32 pm

Sock/Cloth oil filter replacement

It was very difficult to remove the sock type oil filter from my 47 KB (the wire pull broke off of the element). I partially fit the replacement WIX 551011 into the canister and It seems really tight also. I would like to know how other people do this before I mess the filter up. How did mechanics do it back in those days?
Thanks,
John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:22 am

Re: Sock/Cloth oil filter replacement

I don't know what filter what filter body you have, CU, Deluxe, Michiana, etc., and I'm not that familiar with the K's and KB's, so this may not help, but the L, R and S use a Wix 51002. You might compare those and see if it fits a little better.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:47 pm

old filters can be tough to remove, sometimes running a thin dull knife down between filter and housing around perimeter will help break it loose,

if tight to install, roll it on a table top on side like a rolling pin, and it narrows up a bit
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:35 pm

PaulH wrote:I don't know what filter what filter body you have, CU, Deluxe, Michiana, etc., and I'm not that familiar with the K's and KB's, so this may not help, but the L, R and S use a Wix 51002. You might compare those and see if it fits a little better.

While researching this I found references to the 51002 on a site for old Dodge trucks. They were having the same problem.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:39 pm

bedrockjon wrote:old filters can be tough to remove, sometimes running a thin dull knife down between filter and housing around perimeter will help break it loose,

if tight to install, roll it on a table top on side like a rolling pin, and it narrows up a bit

I tried that. But, maybe I should give it a little more effort.
Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:27 pm

PaulH wrote:I don't know what filter what filter body you have, CU, Deluxe, Michiana, etc., and I'm not that familiar with the K's and KB's, so this may not help, but the L, R and S use a Wix 51002. You might compare those and see if it fits a little better.

Michiana uses a paper element, Deluxe uses sock. CU is the element not the mfg. All are bypass filter. If it is on a GRD engine it is plumbed external and could be anything. BLD's had the filter as part of the pressure regulator block bolted to the side of the engine. Deluxe seam more common and is found most often on later K's the Michiana is less so and is most often found on early engines.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:23 am

Thanks. I rolled the filter on a table with a short board in both hands. That worked.

Return to K and KB