long brake line

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:12 pm

long brake line

Anybody have a pic, pattern, schematic, or diagram of the long brake line that runs from the front junction block to the rear? I was installing my front leaf springs today and getting the axle and backing plates ready to go back on. I noticed 2 brake lines coming from the back of the truck, but only one going to the junction block. I found it had a connector near the center of the truck that connected to another line continuing towards the back axle. So, that line appears to be a 2 piece line, maybe a replacement. The 2nd line was just dangling near the front junction block, but was pinched off near the battery. But it more closely followed the cable for the shifter along the frame, as if it was the original line. If it was, Im missing half of it. As long as Im replacing the lines I'd like to follow the original routing.

Thanks ahead of time.

Allen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:11 pm

Re: long brake line

I do not have the measurements but ran all new lines on mine using copper nickel line. There is one line running to a splitter block on the rear differential and then there is a larger line that runs from the master cyliner block to a splitter on the drivers side frame which then feeds both front wheel cylinders. Not sure if that helps.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:07 pm

Thanks. Mine sounds a little different. On mine (47 KB1) there is one larger line running from the master cylinder to the junction block on the lf frame. From there it feeds both fronts, (2 lines), and the long line that runs to the back. Im thinking the one that was pinched off was the original, and somebody replaced it with a 2 piece line at some point. I can copy that one, but would prefer to follow the original route as this truck is going to be bone stock, right down to the original paint.

Allen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:09 pm

The original had one line to the back block on the differential. And from.there it feeds right and left rear. I have four k/kbs and they are all the same.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:26 pm

DSC_5185-min.JPG
DSC_5177-min.JPG
DSC_5215-min.JPG
DSC_5189-min.JPG
DSC_5159-min.JPG

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:46 am

Thanks guys! I can see exactly how the long line is routed. Again, the one thats there is a 2 piece and runs along the bottom of the frame so I'm certain it's a replacement. Ive always enjoyed deciphering old cars and putting them back to original.

Allen

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:26 pm

That is the way my KB lines run as well. I put in all new lines .
My question are the brass washers that are used in non-flare connections only good for one time use.
I am having a hard time getting one location to stop leaking...that is that block located on the LF frame rail.
I have used the old brass washers and I am thinking perhaps they get crushed and are no good to be re-used.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:11 pm

I took the block down to Napa to size new copper crush washers. I needed a thicker washer where the fitting that screws into the LF brake hose slides in to the junction block itself. If I used a thinner washer the hole in the fitting didnt line up with the passages in the junction block. if you slide that fitting that screws in to the LF hose and attaches to the mc line on the other side in the block you'll see how the hole may not line up with the passages. Just easier to take the whole thing to Napa.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:33 am

That is good to know. I have never had that issue but have heard multiple people ask about it. I believe the stock washers has very slight circular ribs on them also not that a normal soft or crush washer would not work.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:48 am

I will take the block to NAPA and see what we can come up with.
Thanks for the feedback.
GREAT site we have here for information and helping each other out.

Return to K and KB