Help getting valve spring off valve stem

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Help getting valve spring off valve stem

I am taking the original 213 engine apart and I don't have a proper valve spring compressor for this engine. What holds the valve spring keeper on the valve? I can't see any split locks under it. I want to remove the cam and I need to remove all the lifters, etc.
Appreciate some help. If I knew what type locking system is there, I can handle the rest. The head is off and the lifter gallery is open.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Re: Help getting valve spring off valve stem

They are held by split locks. You will need A spring compressor to remove them. Goose

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Captainbob, I used a valve spring compressor that I purchased from Sears. It worked just fine on my GD-214.

Valve spring compressor
Item Number 00947627000
price; $19.99
JC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks guys for the tips. I ended up using a 6 inch C clamp. I was just taking the engine apart and I wanted the cam out. I am not rebuilding or repairing it so I wasn't too worried about doing it the proper way. The clamp worked perfect and I was able to get it on two at a time and pop out the locks on both at once. I did end up with a good cam and lifters. I found out why the engine was abandoned..the #4 cylinder had the compression ring broken and the head gasket let water into the same cylinder. All I had of the engine was the top part less the crankshaft, rod caps, pan, flywheel etc. I did recover all the pistons and rods in pretty good shape.

Return to K and KB