Tie rod ends

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:52 pm

Tie rod ends

Looking to rebuild the steering on my 49 KB2. Does anyone make new components for it? I don't know how worn out it is, I do have a great deal of play in the steering wheel. I know there's some adjustment in the drag link but I'm not sure that's where the problem is. Thanks!
--1949 KB2 "Mater", 302/T5
--1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/auto
--2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

"if it ain't broke, you aren't trying!"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:27 pm

Re: Tie rod ends

I think box, king pins and tie rod ends are in mix. Be careful where you buy them. I Do not know the best place. Someone will chime in.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:46 pm

As far as the king pins, check your size, I stole this off the KB parts post, BUT it's for a KB3
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:51 am
Re: Parts Link Format
King Pin Kit for my 1949 KB-3 1 Ton Truck. Might fit other K and KB trucks but check size!!
These king pins are .860" in diameter and 5.45" long.
AutoZone has them under part number K141R but here is a part number cross-over list that might be useful too. Once I found this I had a MUCH easier time finding the king pins. I paid about $72 with tax.

Here is the cross-over list;

King Pin Part number Cross Over.JPG

Here is a picture of what comes in the kit. Very useful!

King Pin Kit Picture.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:23 pm

I bought a set of these https://www.xkutusa.com/ I got these reamers to freshen up the steering knuckles on DANA front 4X4 axles.
So, I am not familiar with the steering joints on the "K"" series IHC trucks. I am wondering if it is possible to replace all of the original steering joints with a more modern ball joints and reset the joints with these tapered reamers.
I wonder if there comes a time when the Vintage "K" series useable parts run out and other options must be considered.
I have converted a few "R" series trucks to SAGINAW steering. These Saginaw steering boxes are on Chevy and GMC trucks. There are many configurations in power and manual. The mounting holes are so very close to the IHC.
This will require a column modification and some machine work to the OEM column.. IH Scout is another source for steering columns and steering boxes.
A good source for steering column adapter parts is https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/fla ... pIQAvD_BwE
Attachments
SAGINAW TILT Scout.jpg
IH Scout tilt column
SAGINAW  SIDE MOUNT  2.jpg
Malibu from a rear wheel drive
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to K and KB