Steering drag links

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:41 pm

Steering drag links

Im currently working on the steering components of my KB1. I have all the drag links and tie rods separated and cleaned. When I removed the adjustment caps I found one had 1 thin washer, one had 2 thick washers, one had a thin and a thick washer, and one had no washers. I looked at the service manual and it doesn't show any washers. Does anybody have a more detailed, clearer diagram for the assembly of the tie rods to the steering knuckles and the short drag link to the steering gear and knuckle? If I go by the service manual it looks like there should be no washers backing up either the ball cups or springs. It also shows a cap over the ball opening and mentions a felt washer to keep debris out. Anybody know of an alternative as I believe no replacements exist. finally, is there a source for the springs? One of mine is broken.

As always, thanks!

Allen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Re: Steering drag links

I had a broken spring on one of my ends and replaced it with one from my '51 Chevy project. Same dimensions and worked great so I would look at any of the Chevy re-pop parts houses like Chevs of the '40's. They sell a rebuild kit for the joint, along with seals or dust covers. You could also source some felt material and perhaps fab your own. As far as the washers, I am only guessing that they are shims added to compensate for the ball wear. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure mine had some too when I cleaned out the old grease and re-lubed them. I'm sure others may have a definitive answer but I'm thinking they are used to take up the play in the joint?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:59 pm

Like this?
Attachments
205774R91.jpg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Yea, like that. I only need one spring. Everything else looked good to re-use. And thanks Macgiver for the heads up...to my surprise I found re-popped dust shields. I'll have to wait to order them though. The wife gave me a funny look last night when I told her I had ordered some parts for one of our other cars. I guess she doesn't understand how important nos map light bezels for a 67 Mustang are to our well-being.

Return to K and KB