Rookie

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 am

e brake liner &rivets

where can i find brake liner & rivets for e brake for 49 kb2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 am

Re: e brake liner &rivets

Just send it off to someone who does that kind of relineing, A lot simpler. I've done my own, and for the time and hassle involved getting it done is cheaper. Any place that relines heavy truck brakes should be able to do it for you.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:20 am

You can do this; and it'll make you feel good when you're done.

Here's what I ordered from McMaster Carr for my '46 k3 driveline squeezer.

1 97451A654 Brass Semi-Tubular Rivet, 9/64" Diameter, 7/16" Length, Packs of 100

2 6224K346 High-Strength Brake and Clutch Lining, 3/16" Thickness, 2-1/2" Width, 3' Length

The length of 7/16 is too long; get 'em 1/4 inch or a tiny bit longer will work fine. Drill ot the old rivets and clean up the band; good time to paint it. Drill through the cut-to-length liner using the band as a template. Stick a rivet or something of equal diameter through after each hold in place. I believe I used machine screws w/nut to hold it good and tight while moving 'round the band from one end to the other. Lay the friction lining out flat and make the countersink for the head of the rivets. You'll have to flatten out a drill bit of the appropriate diameter to match the angle of the rivet head. It might be suggested to use a drill press for control when doing the countersinks; set it up to bottom out 'bout one-half way through the friction material. Now put a punch or something in your vice to back up the rivets. I blunted the nose of a 1/2 inch bolt and tightened it to the corner of a steel table. Start layin' in rivets from one end and peenin' 'em over as you go.

As a side note; my brake ran a little hot for awhile; Had to run it really loose until it wore in. So make sure you measure the thickness of an unworn portion of your old friction material before you order. Might be able to get by with less thickness than what I used

Bud

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:35 am

bud, thanks i ordered what i needed and have it in hand skip57

Return to K and KB