steering components

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:02 pm

steering components

Hello all. With the weather turning more tolerable I ventured out to the garage and started to take a look at the steering on my 47 KB1. Any suggestions on what grease to use to grease the places where the components join? Im not sure what they're called; ball and cup joints; knuckle joints; something else? Basically everywhere there is a grease fitting. Also, should there be caps on the tops of the king pins? The right side has no cap and the top of the pin is visible once the 70 years of junk was removed. The left side has been leaded over, looks to be similar to leading a body panel joint.
Any opinions on rebuilding the steering gear box? Ive never driven the truck; just had it towed home when I bought it 4 years ago. Steering works, but I have nothing to compare it to. Is it worth it, and are there recommendations on who should do it?

Allen
Last edited by BapaAllen on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:39 pm

Re: steering components

This is what I have used for decades. My employer bought this grease in 205 liter barrels for the shop pressurized system. I buy the grease gun refills at a local auto parts store.
https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Gre ... CARTRIDGE/
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to K and KB