ford explorer 8.8 rear end- u bolts and spring mounts?

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:37 pm

ford explorer 8.8 rear end- u bolts and spring mounts?

I am getting a ford explorer 8.8 rear end for my 41 international KB3. The reasons were:

getting a 3.55 rear end gear ratio
getting rear disc brakes
parts easier to secure

The IH KB3 had 2.25 inch wide leaf springs (10 leafs) with the A and B arms of equal length. Given the difference in axle radius between the KB and the explorer, one would assume that you need to use a ford explorer mounting plate and U bolts. However, the ford explorer uses a 2.5 inch wide leaf spring, while the KB3 used a 2.25 inch wide leaf spring.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I had a set of KB3 rear leaf springs (2.25 inch wide) made by General Leaf spring and would like to use them while retaining the shackles and hangers from the KB3 which are of the appropriate width for those leaf springs.

Is there a ford explorer u bolt and mounting plate that accomodates a 2.25 leaf spring?

Thanks for any input.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:14 pm

Re: ford explorer 8.8 rear end- u bolts and spring mounts?

It is very likely the Ford 8.8 spring pads will not be in the correct location for an IHC installation. It is easy enough to cut the Ford spring pads off and replace them with something after-market. I have made my own spring pads from square steel tube. Use the forum search and you will find this subject discussed at length, the latest time was only a few weeks ago.
You should be able to use the 8.8 lower bolt plates again. Have new "U" bolts made to fit these plates.
When it comes to the "U" bolts you will want to have new ones made and use new long nuts and washers. The original Ford and IH "U" bolts are not good candidates for reuse. These "U" bolts can be made in any spring shop. I have had them made for my projects. I think 8 of them cost $50 before tax. Spring and trailer shops may have the axle pads. In the picture, I am using the OEM IHC springs to track the axle and an air spring to carry the truck.
Attachments
SPRING TO AXLE BRACKET, BUMP STOP AND AIR SPRING.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:42 am

Thanks for the information!

The shop that is building the differential is replicating the leaf spring mounting pads from the international and putting them in the appropriate location with the proper angle.

Good idea about the shop. I didn't think about that; I guess I will just have them make the appropriate plate and U-bolts for the ford explorer rear end, but to accommodate 2.25, rather than 2.5 inch, leaf springs.

I do plan on replacing nearly everything I can with new parts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:18 pm

I also have installed a Ford rear end and it’s been great but the down side is that I left the stock springs to conserve work and costs. Now I want to shore up my cornering abilities . The 1949 KB1 has a pretty substantial lean while negotiating a corner. My spring shackles are a little sloppy ( new wet bolts etc but could be better).

I’m thinking that more substantial springs and mountings would help. What say you all ?

Thanks,
Bob K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 pm

I would advise not going for heavy springs to stabilize the truck in corners, unless you are planning to carry heavy loads. All Ford 8.8 Explorer straight axles had a factory sway bar. (aka stabilizer) mounted on the 8.8 axle.. I have used the OEM Ford stabilizer. It is very easy to adapt. I do not have a clear picture, but I can post what I have. If you look carefully, you should be able to see the OEM Ford 8.8 link that ties the sway-bar to the frame.
There is a four-bar for locating the axle and a Holland New-Way leveling valve for the air springs The sway linkage is in the upper left.
I decided to use a reduced spring pack on my IHC pickups and add air springs to carry the weight of the truck. My 1940 Ford is all air spring.
Attachments
exhaust out the back.jpg
Left rear suspension 2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and insight .I was not aware of the 8.8 stabilizer mounts . The rear axle housing I purchased about five years ago was off an older Explorer ( not sure the year ) but I ordered Ford brake components for a 1990 and they fit .I did not see anything on the axle housing that would support a sway bar. The only thing I did for the installation was to move the spring perches to accommodate the KB spring layout.

I’ll have to explore stabilizer installations and see if I can come up with something OR just anticipate the corners and snail my way through.

Bob K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:09 pm

From 1990 to 1994, the Explorer 8.8 had a rear sway bar. The vertical mounting brackets on the axle ar just inboard of the spring perches.
If you look around, you may find an aluminum differential cover from a Lincoln 8.8.
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/f ... and-specs/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:26 pm

Yup. I see that. Not on the axle housing I have but I just finished watching a YouTube video on sway bar installation. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it may help my situation. Seems easy enough to install if parts are close to what I need. I’m confident that I can get some stuff to fit the Ford axle but it may be quite challenging to find the width to accommodate the KB frame rails.

More to ponder and more measuring . I would not trust what little welding skills I barely have.

Thanks for all the input. If my ambition holds after my present projects I may pursue this stabilizing affect.

Return to K and KB