Replacing windshield glass

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:34 am

Replacing windshield glass

In the process of restoring my 1947 KB2, I am replacing the glass in my windshield. The old glass is out, the frame painted ,all going well except for finding a bedding that I can make work. I have tried both 1/16” & 3/64” thick setting tape. Either seems to be a fit for the track but when attempting to push them into the top section of the frame while spot taped onto the glass, both thickness want to rip and tear as they slid into the top of the short outside portion of the frame. I have tried both dish soap and Vaseline along with filling the entry edges smooth. I am looking for either a better technique for the procedure or suggestions for a caulk or silicone bedding.
I am a newbie to restoration and to the forum but am really enjoying both.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:23 am

Re: Replacing windshield glass

I had the same issues. I bought a 1/16" rubber made for setting windows and it was too thick. I tried some other things and same, no go. I finally tried some tape I had from my contractor days and it worked perfect. I was able to stretch it around the glass and the fit was good but not really a water tight fit since the windshield frame slot varied. So after I put the glass in with the tape, I used black silicone all around the exterior and cut the excess away with a razor blade. It wasn't much but it does seal the outside perfectly. A few pictures and good luck!
ps, I rebuild the American Bosch windshield wiper motors and also sell 6v and 12 volt motors when you get to that point! trailertrawler@gmail.com
Bob
Windshield glass in 1-9-17 024.JPG

Windshield glass in 1-9-17 019.JPG

Windshield glass in 1-9-17 012.JPG

Windshield glass in 1-9-17 010.JPG

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Thanks Captain Bob. Sounds like a good way to go. And the pics were great,especially the one of the tape box. Question, since the glass doesn’t move in relation to the frame, could I just use the black silicone ? The wipers are next to do. I have two good original 6volt motors but have converted the truck to 12 volts ( May live to regret) so will either try adding resistors if I can find the amp rating of my motors or talk to you about a possible swap of some kind. Thanks again for the quick response.
Last edited by OldRed47 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:42 pm

OldRed47 wrote:Thanks Captain Bob. Sounds like a good way to go. And the pics were great,especially the one of the tape box. Question, since the frame doesn’t move in relation to the frame, could I just use the black silicone ? The wipers are next to do. I have two good original 6volt motors but have converted the truck to 12 volts ( May live to regret) so will either try adding resistors if I can find the amp rating of my motors or talk to you about a possible swap of some kind. Thanks again for the quick response.

I have heard of others just using silicone but I wouldn't without adding the rubber to protect the edges of the glass in the frame. It would be hard to keep the glass off the frame just using silicone.
On the wipers, don't use resistors since they heat up, sometimes hot. I sell a 15 amp electronic voltage reducer that will easily supply 6v of stable voltage for the wipers. They only draw about 3 amps each. You could also run the heater motor and gauges from the same voltage regulator since it would be rare, if ever you would run all at the same time. It is about $40 plus shipping. email me if interested. pic below.
Bob
voltage reducer regulator 7 volt (5).jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:27 pm

I have found the 3M tape on line.I can see the reasoning now. I will use it and the silicone to finish the seal. I believe you have my best solution to the conversion. I will email you for the regulator. Thanks again
Rod

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:07 pm

Bill Carson has a great tutorial on windshield frames on YouTube
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks, haven’t been able to locate it yet but will keep looking. Was it titled under something other than his name?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:46 am

Did my window a few months back used exact same tape as Captainbob's picture. Had the same trouble of the tape catching the top frame. It cracked my window as well. What I did was removed ripped tape, laid a new line, trimmed corners so nothing stuck out and what worked for me was using pure silicone goo too, at the corners on the tape and it slipped right in. I will feel like it's too tight for a second and then with a small amount of pressure, then "pop" it slides in. Just be super slow and no pressure at all on the glass, it will crack very easy. Then just used black silicone in the gaps on both sides.

The worst part is slipping the rubber seal around the outside of frame. Mine didn't slide around the rail at all, what I used was a small plastic pry-bar (like the ones you can buy for pulling off plastic door panel and trim on newer cars) and just had to cram it in inch by inch. Just get one edge in then squish the other side in the groove and lube the hell out of it with the silicone on the rubber and in the groove. It's also recommended to install it when your done, so the rubber "outside" seal doesn't get wavy with nothing to keep it flat.
Last edited by Wylie on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks Wylie, every bit of additional information helps. Now to see if I can keep from cracking my glass. I am thinking about putting a small bead of the silicone at the bottom of the glass track to give some extra cushion along with the tape. I am also going back to do some extra smoothing inside the gasket track.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:18 pm

OldRed47 wrote:Thanks, haven’t been able to locate it yet but will keep looking. Was it titled under something other than his name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V73xz-ed8Vk

he has a few good videos on dealing with door glass and other stuff
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to K and KB