wire gauge

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:03 am

wire gauge

Ive now started replacing the wiring under the dash of my 47 KB1. Im staying with the 6V system and plan on purchasing a reproduction harness for the engine compartment/tailights. But for the wires contained under the dash Im simply making my own using the originals as patterns. My question is if Im using copper, can I use the same gauge as the original silver? I read through the search results on this topic and if Im reading the responses correct, some suggest using a heavier gauge if you're using copper. It looks like the panel light and jumper on the back of the gauge pod were originally 14ga, while the heater motor, wipers and light switch were 12ga. Using 12 ga isnt a problem except for the panel light. I cant find a replacement socket that uses 12 ga wire. And the original socket accepts 14 ga max.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:33 am

Re: wire gauge

You should wait until you get your nice new cloth wrapped wiring harness. All those behind dash are in the harness. Other wise you'll have cloth wrapped wire mixed with plastic colored wire. Stay correct all the way through. IMO

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: wire gauge

BapaAllen wrote:I Using 12 ga isnt a problem except for the panel light. I cant find a replacement socket that uses 12 ga wire. And the original socket accepts 14 ga max.

The ga of the wire is determined by the current it is expected to see, and how long the run. Higher the current, longer the run the heavier the gauge required. There are charts on the .net that list recommended gauge for the current and run.
The panel lights would draw less the 2 amps, depending on any extra lamps used in aftermarket gauges, so 18 ga would be plenty. 6 volt uses twice the current of 12 volt for the same work, that is why you are seeing alot of 12 ga . Add to that using a gauge that is heavier than required has no drawback other than it is harder to make the bends and runs. IHC may have used 12 gauge for panel lights because the didn't want to stock large amounts of different gauge wire, not because it is needed for the load.
Oh, BTW the original wires are not made of silver, they are "tinned wire" which cuts down on corrosion. So today's copper wire is equal to or better than the same gauge wire the truck came with.

Return to K and KB