Seatbelts

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:18 pm

Seatbelts

I would like to install 3 point seatbelts in my stock 49 KB2. Anyone done this and can tell me what set to buy that will be the right length/design? Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:32 pm

Re: Seatbelts

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/?gclid=Cj ... 4gQAvD_BwE
https://www.julianos.com/Seat-Belts-s/96.htm (this is where my 40 Ford seatbelts came from.)
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/str ... -199-30385
I used Google to find these. I could not remember Julianos had supplied seatbelts for my project. There are more options.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 pm

Thanks, Nikki.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:07 pm

It will a difficult install as there is no good anchor point for the 3rd attachment. The two lower attachments can be reinforced with large doubling plates on the underside of the cab.
The upper attachment is the problem, you could attach thru the cab with a doubling plate on the outside, but gee's it would look awful. Any attachment on the inside would have to be strong enough to take the force and not rip out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:04 pm

One of the members here I know figured it out well. He made a plate with the correct bend, tapped it welded a nut, snaked it up there in between and works great. Was on a R and S model. I don't know if the K or KBs have the space.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:35 pm

Something that has been missed in the discussion is a rear-end-collision. With nothing to cushion your head, it will hit the hard back of the cab. My R120 was rear-ended by a speeding Honda. The "R" was pushed through an intersection and into a used car lot. This was December 12, 2001. Other than the rear fuel tank sender having stopped working and the bumper a little bent, there was no other damage. I was OK. I, fortunately saw what was about to happen and I leaned as far forward as I could and held steering wheel tightly. The Honda was totaled and the driver got out and ran away. The driver returned in a few minutes and managed to drive the Honda away. The driver reported the Honda as being stolen. I had pictures of the collision and the driver. I followed the trail of leaking fluids and took more pictures. The driver was charged by the Police.
I reported the collision to the police as a it-and-run. I did not make a claim for damage and offered to fix the fuel sender. The insurance gave me $400 that I was not expecting.
Attachments
GMC VAN TANK 1990.jpg
tailgate home made.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:21 pm

guys put 3rd row Tahoe seats in, they have built in 3 point seat belt,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:42 pm

kevin wrote:One of the members here I know figured it out well. He made a plate with the correct bend, tapped it welded a nut, snaked it up there in between and works great. Was on a R and S model. I don't know if the K or KBs have the space.

This sounds like a good idea. I will have a look today at my truck to see what space is in there. I don't want to change the seat, I got a really good deal on it. Thanks again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:55 pm

worthy wrote:I would like to install 3 point seatbelts in my stock 49 KB2. Anyone done this and can tell me what set to buy that will be the right length/design? Thanks.

I used seat belts from a Corvette. They are retractable from the upper attachment and the attachment in the center. The double retraction works great. I made all of my backing plates using heavier metal that the kits you can buy. The upper one was the challenge. I don't have a pic of the bracket I made installed. I only have a pic of it loose. Basically, it's a backing bar that goes from the metal part of the headliner to over the doors. I used three 3/8 flat head bolts in the door header to the bracket. Pictures below of the backing plates and the bars I fabricated. They would have to rip the door header out in a head on. My seat has headrests. They are called dual retracting 3 point seat belts. They were mainly used in C3 Corvettes from 72 to 73. The purpose of the lower retractable part was for additional occupant movement. The retractable units are for occupant movement..so you can lean forward etc.
DSCN3495.JPG

DSCN3496.JPG

DSCN3497.JPG

door jamb.jpg

20150210_174043.jpg

20150210_174058.jpg

seat belts.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:52 pm

That looks great! I went out and looked at mine today. I see the inner cab panel goes right to the floor so I would have to come in from the top. I was wondering if there was enough space in there for a backing plate but if you did it there must be. That's good to know. Thanks again.
Next

Return to K and KB