Ignition/door key

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:47 pm

Ignition/door key

My KB1 did not come with any keys. Today I took both the ignition switch and door lock down to my local locksmith. Ive been using this gentleman for 35 years and he was older back then. He's down to part time 2 days a week and he is old school. Small shop, thousands of keys and locks hanging on boards. Anyway, he buffed the ignition cylinder and immediately got a number. Said it looked like a Briggs and Stratton and that they were commonly used back then. He then called an hour later and said he had the ignition key. I assume he cut it from a blank based on the existing tumblers. He then said it doesnt work in the door lock, and he'd continue working on that one. I made an assumption he'd work on setting new tumblers in the door lock to work with the key. My question is should both work with one key, or should there be separate ignition/door keys? Im not worried either way, just curious which would be correct.

Allen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Re: Ignition/door key

The majority of my Old IHC pickups were "one-key". You are better off getting this advice from your key guy.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:39 am

Might or might not help, interesting article on automotive keys and locks.
https://www.locksmithledger.com/locks/a ... auto-locks

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:53 am

Interesting article. Right in line with what my guy said. I'll be sad to see him fully retire when that time comes. Not that he doesnt deserve it, but all the old schoolers are leaving. My radiator guy had a single stall shop. Did anything I needed at a fair price. Never tried to up-sale me or be anything but completely honest. His building went up for sale a month ago. The guy that did the final body/paint work on my 75 Elite also just sold the business. Ive been going to this group of guys for 40 years. Since the first day I got my first car at 15 1/2.

Allen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:36 pm

That's why, I sent out anything that needed to be expertly rebuilt by an "old schooler" as soon as possible. Sure enough when your ready to get to it, their retired or have closed up shop.

Return to K and KB