Post purchase sticker shock

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Post purchase sticker shock

Well, I am now full bore into the KBS5 restoration. I just added up what I have spent on parts alone, and had a case of "post purchase sticker shock". I wasn't too badly scared by any of the individual prices.

Tires - $1700
Wiring harness - $400
rubber gaskets set - $425
headliner, floor matt, firewall liner and misc - $525
Paint job - $4000
Misc supplies, parts - $600 +/-
Glass - $425
Seat Upholstery - $325

Total so far: $8400 I estimate yet another $500 - $700 of misc. items/parts :shock:

Not complaining, but whining a little. However, when I am done, I can truly say "this was done right". Now to get me some cheese for that whine..........................

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Post purchase sticker shock

oh, I forgot I bought a set of mirrors from Conrad. Rebuilt the flatbed. Bought a spare tire hanger. Tail light. Turning signals. Correct horn. Front bumper. Had the gas tank redone. New fuel sender. Lastly, I am having the guages redone.

Add another $2100 for all these items.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Which is why this poor boy is Bartering for the work done on my L. I can't wait to see your finished product!

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 am

That's why I throw away my receipts. Ignorance is bliss- even if you gotta stick your head in the sand to find it. :?
"How the heck did that happen?"

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:52 am

Just think you could have spent all that in a bar...but you will now have something special to show for all you hard earned money spent....and be a lot better off in the end.....I quit counting years ago with my old Bronco...and now I almost feel bad if I don't dump at least a grand a year in it......kind of like kids..full time forever investment..Enjoy and can't wait to see the finished product!
West Yellowstone, MT

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 am

I had to explain to a friend/customer just yesterday, do it because you love it. If you try to justify the time or money, you'll make yourself crazy. Good luck and Godspeed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 am

[quote="tom fleming"]Well, I am now full bore into the KBS5 restoration. I just added up what I have spent on parts alone, and had a case of "post purchase sticker shock". I wasn't too badly scared by any of the individual prices.

Total so far: $8400 I estimate yet another $500 - $700 of misc. items/parts :shock:

Well.....the good news is.....if you ever decide to sell it, you will get back at least half of what you have spent! Rejoice, all is not lost!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 am

lol...this is exactly why I have no desire to "restore" my KB-2. I even re-used the head gasket on the engine that's in it now...cleaned it good with a wire wheel and then coated it with permatex spray-on copper gasket sealant. Works good so far! Including the original purchase price of the truck at $300, I think I'm up to about $750 spent on it so far. I bought a whole other chassis with good axles and a running engine for $300 and I have spent about $150 restoring the brake system and clutch. Don't really have much left to purchase before it will be road-worthy. Maybe some wire and a few bulbs. I'm planning to fabricate a gas tank - which won't cost me very much.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:22 pm

when i built my 65 mustang, i started a spreadsheet intitally to track parts that i needed that included parts number, source, and price. it evolved into a spreadsheet of what i spent on the build, which i developed subcategories such as interior, suspension, etc. that was done primarily to help me find stuff. i always kept a paper copy around the house to mark up when looking through catalogues etc as i found the next thing to incorporate. well, i was way too deep into it, but no turning back. one day i come home, my spouse meets me on the sidewalk coming out the front door waving the paper and proclaiming "you have spent even more than i had thought you would." and i was not done yet.

the biggest plus of the spreadsheet came when i was trying to get stated value insurance. i just sent them the spreadsheet and that is the value they used. it covers the parts but not my sweat equity. at least i know that if something happens to it i can get out my raw cost.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Tom, I bet your truck is nice, got a picture?
Next

Return to K and KB