wheels with disc brakes

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:31 pm

wheels with disc brakes

Hello-

I changed my front hubs to KB2s so that I can use disc brakes. I ordered the kit and the guys there said I would need 3.5-4 inch backspacing.

I have the KB3 woodie back at my farm, so I can't measure the hubs, but being KB2, I would assume that they are 5 X 4.5 with 16 inch wheels, correct? Anyone know a good source for wheels for KB2 hubs that can accomodate disc brakes?

Also, with stock KB2 rears with drum brakes, anyone know a source of wheels for them?

Thanks!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Re: wheels with disc brakes

I buy wheels with that bolt pattern at a local Ford recycling yard. Ford Crown Victoria has the pattern you are looking for. That bolt pattern was on the F150 until a year or two ago when that "F" truck went to 6 bolts. You could check for something you like from a Ford Explorer.
Many of the Police models of these vehicles had steel wheels, if that is what you prefer.
I have attached a few pictures of Ford and Ram wheels I bought.
the Lincoln and Mercury wheels are made by BBS.
The Ram wheels are 20 inch.
Attachments
wheels_type.jpg
Crown Vic wheels.jpg
Ford Police wheels
BBS ON THE WELD POSITIONER.jpg
Lincoln on my 1940 Ford
RAM 20 INCH X 8 WHEELS.jpg
Ram 1500 (for my L110 4X4 Cummins project)
1210px-Alloy_wheel_mercury.jpg
Mercury
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:21 pm

thanks!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:42 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I buy wheels with that bolt pattern at a local Ford recycling yard. Ford Crown Victoria has the pattern you are looking for. That bolt pattern was on the F150 until a year or two ago when that "F" truck went to 6 bolts. You could check for something you like from a Ford Explorer.
Many of the Police models of these vehicles had steel wheels, if that is what you prefer.
I have attached a few pictures of Ford and Ram wheels I bought.
the Lincoln and Mercury wheels are made by BBS.
The Ram wheels are 20 inch.

Another wheel question-

pardon my ignorance. I found some nice Coker wheels16X7 , 5X 4.5 bolt pattern, with a 4 inch backspacing, which is what the disc brake guys suggested. Chrome rim, painted wheel, and good for the standard IH hubcaps. So far, so good for the front. I looked at the wheels Nikki used above, and while they look great for his application, I think they would be a little fancy for an IH woodie truck. I need something that is a little more "plain Jane".

However, calling the guys at Coker, I asked them if they also sold the same wheel, but with less backspacing, so the wheel would not hit the leaf springs on the rear. The guy told me that the same backspacing (4 in) would be fine. Now I know that is not true, but does anyone know off hand what the "stock wheel" backspacing is for a KB-2 International wheel?

Also, Nikki above had suggested 5 X 4.5 Crown Vic wheels. Would those work for both the front hubs with discs and the rears with drums? I keep thinking the same backspacing would be problematic. Is that correct, or am I too dense to figure this out (very possible- I'm a doc and know medicine, but can be very stupid in other arenas- ask my wife).

I don't want to order some wheels and send them back (which I know can happen, even if you attempt to plan properly). However, I think I got a knucklehead on the information line. Of course, I want both the front and back to match.

PS- You guys have been very, very helpful to me and I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. I know that takes some time and thought, so I very much appreciate any input. I am very ignorant about these old IH vehicles so I am slowly trying to learn. I have bought the IH repair manuals and the parts catalogs.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 pm

If you are into it, you might want to pick up/borrow a Crown Vic steel wheel and try it on your application. The rather plain looking police steel wheel hubcap. Some IH hubcaps were not badged. The early Crown Vic wheels have a different off-set than the later models.
Recommending a wheel for your application is difficult because the measurements can be so varied. Something else to consider might be wheel spacers.
Have you tried STOCKTON WHEELS? http://stocktonwheel.com/
I have told a few persons that I was an OBGYN. I went on to say, I was never very good at it, but, I never minded taking a look. 118
Attachments
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo (2).jpg
converting a RAM 2500 hubcap to IH
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo (2).jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
wheel bolt adapter 6-9.jpg
wheel spacer
Crown Vic wheels.jpg
crown Vic

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:01 am

I'm old enough to remember when drum and disk cars took different wheels. The bolt pattern and off set were the same, but the conture of the "gutter" in the center of of the wheel was different. You could put a "disk" wheel on a drum car, but not the other way around.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:If you are into it, you might want to pick up/borrow a Crown Vic steel wheel and try it on your application. The rather plain looking police steel wheel hubcap. Some IH hubcaps were not badged. The early Crown Vic wheels have a different off-set than the later models.
Recommending a wheel for your application is difficult because the measurements can be so varied. Something else to consider might be wheel spacers.
Have you tried STOCKTON WHEELS? http://stocktonwheel.com/
I have told a few persons that I was an OBGYN. I went on to say, I was never very good at it, but, I never minded taking a look. 118

Sounds like a good idea to try an older crown vic wheel. I'll try that site as well.

OB/Gyn? My daughter is a 4th year med student at a good program, AOA with great board scores. She was thinking gyn-onc, but the OB/Gyn people were horrible to her. The ortho guys (top ten program there) loved her and basically told her they would take her for a resident. So......... she is on her way to ortho. Wants to do pediatric spine, which is purely an academic practice.

Thanks!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 am

Just to be clear, I am not a Doctor.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Just to be clear, I am not a Doctor.

Whoops-

I thought you were a physician as well from your comment. My goof! Not that it makes any difference. Being a physician these days is somewhat hazardous. Oddly, all my brothers and sisters are docs as well; my dad ran a paint store and my mom was a secretary. Don't know how that happened- all US MD medical grads from good programs.

I am more impressed with good mechanics than docs. All of my friends are neurosurgeons; oddly, we know very little outside of medicine, so all the information you guys provide is extremely helpful.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:37 pm

My congratulations to your daughter. I appreciate a high achiever.
I am a tradesman. My first trade was HVAC. I took drafting training in evening classes on the alternate evenings to my welding classes. That was in the 1960s. I would not have that energy today. A few years later I went back to trade school and did another apprenticeship for Commercial Transport Mechanic. The HVAC did not have the work. I have all of my drafting tools, but, I do not remember how to work a slide-rule. For my 50th birthday, I returned to a trade school to take auto-cad, just to challenge myself.
My next brother was the CEO with a major oil company. He is retired. Brother two is an architect with a Doctor's degree and he is close to retirement from his teaching job. My sister, the youngest was a bank manager then moved to the head of an HR department for a large city. After she retired, she applied for a job as a dishwasher in a high end restaurant. She drove her BMW to work 6 days a week and parked next to the owner/manager's BMW. She wanted to do this to keep herself "grounded."
My Dad was a farmer and HVAC business owner. Mom was a stay-at-home mother.

Return to K and KB