removing wheel hubs from drums

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:19 pm

removing wheel hubs from drums

Need some advice on KB1 wheel hubs. Does one need to use a swedge cutting tool to cut around the lugs before pressing out the mounted drum?

I don't want to damage the hub, as want to keep the hub intact. I plan on re-mounting the hub (sans drum) and convert to disc brakes.

The KB1 front hub is going to be mounted on a KB3 such that I will be able to purchase a disc brake conversion kit, which is not available for the KB3.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: removing wheel hubs from drums

short answer is yes, you must remove the "swedge" to not damage the drums. If you cut the studs, and drive the old studs out, replace with new one( might be needed anyway for the conversion, and the left hand threads on the the one can be replaced with right hand threaded studs. Just my thoughts, others may have better or more information.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:17 am

Okay- thanks!

No one locally has the swedge cutting tool (weird) so I bought one and will get the job done.

Good thought on the lugs- they are cheap and plentiful.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:23 pm

Just a thought, if your drums have lots of "meat" left, someone could possibly use them if undamaged. I have never let a place "turn down" my old drums, just skim them flat, discounting grooves from rivets. I know that some disagree with this, but shoes will "wear" in especially if this is not a daily driver. Just my frugal self. New drums are now available.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 am

New drums? Where?

Also, do you happen to know a source for wheel bearings?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:06 am

This won't help Hawkeye2009 since he found a swedge cutter, but a 5/8" hole saw in a drill press makes quick work of the swedges on 1/2" studs. Wheel bearings should be available from any parts store or bearing supply.

Return to K and KB