KB brake lines. KB 2

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:54 pm

KB brake lines. KB 2

The chassis I started with had no old brakes lines for me to go off of size wise. I have acquired a donor cab and chassis that still has the line from the master cylinder to the front union on the drivers side and some of the brake line to the rear of the chassis. The main line from the master cylinder to the front union is I am guessing here 1/4". The rest of the lines look to be perhaps 3/16" in size. Does this sound about right? I have found a place in Atlanta, GA that will make me new brake hoses for the front end. In talking to them they also suggested some new brake line material that is out now. They said it was a lot better that steel to form. The guy I was talking to send about all you needed was a coke bottle to form the line. He did say you would need a good flaring tool to flare it. I have a good flaring tool. I cannot remember the name of the tube right now.
I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Re: KB brake lines. KB 2

http://www.brakeconnect.com/4-reasons-t ... brake-line
If you cannot make perfect double flares in the line anything you do will leak and be a waste of material and your time.
https://www.eastwood.com/professional-b ... -tool.html
This is the best tool for the money. This tool works as well as the much more expensive unit I have.
I bought a hydraulic flare tool kit that cost over $700cdn.
https://www.amazon.ca/Mastercool-72485- ... 6581&psc=1
Ridgid make the very best tube bending tool in their 400 series.
Attachments
400 Series Instr. Bender_72dpi.jpg
400 series tube bender from Ridgid.
MASTERCOOL FLARE TOOL.jpg
Mastercool
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:00 pm

I just built all new lines for an R112 truck. I used Nickel/Copper line and double flared the end using and old fashioned flaring tool and you are carefull and take your time they come out nice. The Copper Nickel brake line is softer than steel so that helps. They also make some newer flaring tools for between $75 and $175 that would be easier to use if you did alot of them. I contemplated buying a new tool but was fine with the old tool. I hope this helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:01 pm

Most of the line is 1/4 but there is a small front piece that is 5/16 I believe.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks for all the good information. I am going to use the copper/metallic line. My Son has one of good flaring tools that I plan to use.

Return to K and KB