mustang II front?

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:04 pm

mustang II front?

Has anyone used a mustang II front suspension on an International KB model?

It seems as though a more modern suspension may be safer than relying upon the old International suspension.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Re: mustang II front?

You could try the forum search for several results.
The Mustang two geometry engineering has been used by more than a few after-market suppliers. Fatman Fabrications make a dedicated IHC kit One of the first to offer this conversion was Gary Heidt
GOOGLE Mustang two suspension.
Another front suspension transplant I rather like is the ford Crown Victoria modular system. This is not a direct bolt in. BUT, it looks simple enough. There is lots of information on the internet and You Tube about the MII and the Crown-Vic conversion.
The wide track of a Crown-Vic can be compensated for with positive offset wheels.
Measure everything against the on-line information before starting the project. Just because the IHC frame does not fit directly this is adjustable. Check your Old IHC frame for cracking. If you decide to weld on an Old IHC frame there is a very high possibility of changing the metal in the frame and leaving it susceptible to future failure. This forum had had a few bird-crap weld-in installations. If you are not an experienced welder with a good welder, it may be a good idea to ask for professional help.
The original IHC front suspension is totally reliable and works with really well with the rest of the truck. Buy new springs and shocks and use Energy Suspension bushings. This will really tighten up the handling. It is very important to understand this situation, fully, before you start. Freshening the OEM will not be a disappointment.
There are more than a few ways to upgrade the suspension under and Old IHC. I like to use an OEM spring pack, that has had a few leaves removed, to track the axles and Holland Neway leveling valves to control the air springs. I had the springs modified at a Scott Road Spring Shop. 4
Attachments
wheels_type.jpg
off-set explanation
BIRD SHIT WELDING FOR M2 IFS.jpg
You know who you are.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:30 am

Yikes-

I was going to do it for safety purposes. It sounds like you strongly feel the old IHC suspension is safe and up to the job. If so, I'll just use that and replace any parts that are worn. You suggest changing the front leafs and shocks? How about the tie rod ends and the drag link for the steering? Are there specific componants that tend to generally need to be replaced?

I am pulling the front clip as well as the engine and tranny, so everything is going to be easily accessible. The front discs seem like a "must". The Woodie is a K3, but there are no disc brake kits for the K3, only K2 and K1, thus changing the hubs to K1. I like that weird look of the K3 on the back, but again, finding brake parts is hard, so I bought a K2 axle to put on the back so I can readily get brake parts.

Do you consider the old gear box steering system to be reliable and adequate? Of course, with a Mustang II, one does a rack and pinion system. I have had the old gear box system on a few cars and there was always a little "play".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:16 pm

Those old steering boxes are totally reliable and very unlikely to break. This is not to say there will be some noticeable wear on center.
Proper steering alignment and radial tires will make the truck track better.
I have changed the OEM steering box out for more modern SAGINAW from GM. The OEM steering column has to be modified to fit the Saginaw steering. There is a Saginaw steering box that will be a close fit to the IH. Often there is a Saginaw steering box in manual to match the up-grade power steering box.
Another way, and my favorite is to change out the front and rear axles for Dana 44. The original straight axle comes out and the straight Dana 44 front steering and rear axles go under the original springs.
It is important to think of the build as an ongoing project that you look forward to spending time on. As soon as a person says "I have to work", the project becomes work and the fun just left town.
Try to think of the truck as a artists canvas. What are you going to put on there. Our R110 is getting a Cummins 4bta, automatic and NVG 241c transfercase. The axles are Dana 44 from a 1997 Dodge. The wheels are Dodge Ram 20 inch positive offset.
For the :t10512: pestering morons who like to remind me that this is not my truck, anything I post here is for information only, take it or leave it. 43
Attachments
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg
I milled out hubcaps to change up the wheels to an IH look
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo.jpg
20 inch wheels.jpg
20 inch Ram wheels
drogling1.jpg
L110 underside transfer case.jpg
Dana 44s.jpg
Saginaw power steering adapter to an L110 frame AND NEW SPRING MOUNT.jpg
Saginaw steering box adapter.
SAGINAW  SIDE MOUNT  2.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 pm

I agree that it is best to be flexible and make a car that YOU are happy with. If a modification does that, then do it!

I guess I have to ask - if the K1 and K2 set ups are pretty good, why change to Dana 44s? I am sure you have a very good reason, but I am ignorant and open to exploring any options.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:32 pm

Before he gets back on, quick answer, more of them around and more than likely better wheel options. Also I believe Niki, is partial to 4x4 set ups. Just my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:27 pm

Thankyou, Lloyd.
The message I was trying to send is, there are options. Maybe these options were not known. It is up to the owner/builder to discover what will work for that person.
I doubt that a first time owner ever thought, I need that old truck for the wonderful driveline. It is more likely it was the pleasant style that got the attention of the buyer.
All original may not always be an option. I like to have modern reliability. My 4X4 Diesel R120 drove for 225,000 miles and 20 years then I gave it to a friend.
I know a man who likes to build an Old IHC and then try and sell it at Berrett Jackson. There have been times where he never got a bid and almost always never got his money back.
Every hour and day that you spend looking for parts is another day or hour you are not driving.
It has been my experience that I was almost always the only person who knew anything about my Old IHC. Keep the windshield clean, the hood shinny and the tires black. 60
Attachments
R120 power windows and locks and AC.jpg
R120 in 1991 (2).jpg
4X4, 6.9 Diesel V8 winning the company show and shine.
Dad's Funeral day.jpg
Restored with and IH 304 V8 and automatic.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:01 am

I certainly understand.

I feel some obligation to keep things as much IH as possible, as there are only four of this K3 Woodie in existence, so I am somewhat preserving a dinosaur. I agree about safety and reliability, however, thus the disc brakes on the front. Like you, I want to enjoy the car so it is safe, but enjoy "the struggle" of finding parts and learning about the nuances of each system.

MOST of my cars are restomods. The only original one I have is a '49 town and country Woodie. Oddly, that has the most amazing ride with original parts. My other woodies are stock on the outside, but modern drivetrains and suspensions. My first one ('48 Chevrolet) I did all myself. After that, my wife banned me from doing more cars in the garage. My international is out of state at my farm, so I only get a chance to work on it on vacations or by brining parts home to work on. I am retiring in five years and this project is designed to extend into the first two years of retirement, so I have tons of time. I have actually made good progress on the wood and am in the process of replacing all the plywood and any ash that needs replacement (lots of router time).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Fantastic. I missed the Woodie part. I hope you enjoy retirement. I am in my 17 year.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm

17th year of retirement? Wow- I won't live that long to have 17 years. I am hoping for 5-10.

Return to K and KB