Re: Head gasket

Beautiful.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:38 am

KB1 is running well. After a check around ( as we all do quite a bit ) I noticed a single moisture line on the exhaust manifold seemingly coming from head gasket area. I also observed some beads of moisture on the manifold flanges where they attach to the block. There were also so very slight stain lines on the side of the block from the head gasket area toward the manifold . Hmmm..interesting. I thought, originally that the stain lines were from my copper gasket spray. The head was milled flat, block surface clean, and a new head gasket from Olson.
Also interesting is that this moisture was not green like my antifreeze . Engine runs well with no misfires. I’ll watch it closely and report my findings just in case somebody runs into a similar circumstance.

While performing the look-see I noticed some weeping at the bottom of the ( ford 8.8 ) rear end cover and I’m in the process of removing the gasket and reassembling with Form A Gasket.

BK

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:05 am

Burning fuel produces H2O as a byproduct. At low power it can condense from the exhaust.
If you are concerned, run until the engine it has fully warmed, let cool, and back off the head nuts 1/4 turn and re -torque in the torqueing sequence.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:28 pm

Ran it for 1/2 hr today, not under load with no signs of dampness. In fact the stain on the exhaust manifold disappeared.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:54 pm

CB89; I’m curious that if I back the bolts off a quarter turn before re-torquing will it interfere with the thread seal I applied ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:57 pm

I thought you installed studs? Ah I see that was someone else. Thread sealer is normally non-hardening, unless you used thread-locker.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:37 pm

I had discussions about studs and I concur that are probably superior but I went with new bolts and the stock look.
I used Permatex thread sealant #56521. I was concerned that even if not hardened would the reversing motion break the seal. Probably over thinking .
Previous

Return to K and KB