Throw out bearing

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Throw out bearing

How and if you can adjust the throw out beating. I just ran the truck the first time after a complete rebuild (49' KB2 GRN Diamond) and I have noise I believe is my throw-out bearing.

Thanks for the help!
Guy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Throw out bearing

Tell us what you have done to make you think the throw out bearing is making a noise. Does that sound change when you depress the clutch pedal?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:45 am

You simple adjust the linkage near the pedal. I had the same problem engaging clutch after resto, it was just way off. There should be about an inch and a half of threads, between nut and end of threads at clutch linkage, down near pedal. Try adjusting there. Just take out the cotter pin and set pin and unscrew to lengthen or shorten the pedal throw.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 am

should be about 1/2" free play of pedal before you feel it touch pressure plate, if you don't have free play then the bearing constantly spins or wear out pressure plate forks
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:44 am

If you are getting noise with your foot off the clutch, it is unlikely to be the the throw-out bearing. More likely to be the input shaft bearing on the transmission. If it only makes noise with the trans in neutral and the truck stopped, it could also be the pocket bearing between the main and input shafts.
If it makes noise only with the clutch depressed, it could be the throw-out or pilot bearing.
If it is a "rattle" and not bearing noise, than it also could be the free pedal adjustment.
Saying you have a noise, is like saying you have a disease, it doesn't mean much if you are not going to be more forthcoming.

Return to K and KB