KB-1 brake adjustment

The old and reliable.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:54 pm

KB-1 brake adjustment

Just wondering the proper way to adjust the brakes on my '48 KB-1. I understand how the eccentrics work, but I'm just not sure how to set them to start off and where to go from there. I see there's a small dot punched in the adjusting stud, but I'm not sure which side of the eccentric it corresponds to or which way I should turn the stud for proper adjustment. Any insight is appreciated!
'48 KB-1 Service Truck, '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Dually Flatbed
'55 Willys CJ5 Jeep, '49 Chevy 3600 Deluxe
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 am

Re: KB-1 brake adjustment

Here's how I do it...

I start off with all the eccentrics adjusted all the way "in". Then I start at the bottom first. I adjust those ones 'down' and out first. (Don't adjust them in an upward fashion, it'll position the shoe wrong and cause it to wear unevenly). Turn the wheel while slowly adjusting them down and out. As soon as you hear the drum contact the shoe, stop. (Do this for each shoe) Once that is done, move to the upper eccentrics. Start adjusting them in the same fashion - you'll have your wrench attached so that it is standing up (not down) and you will pull it outwards as you're turning the drum. Stop once you start to feel it dragging on the shoe. It's important to be sure you're turning these eccentrics the correct way. If you twist them backwards it will still do the same thing, however it will only take a slight movement to make the shoe contact the drum and it may not stay in that position because it will be in a bind. I don't really know how to explain that in a better way without having a drawing to reference. Good luck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 pm

interesting.
when growing up my father taught me how to adjust brake drums in just the opposite fashion. he would adjust them tight and then back off until the drum just barely turned freely.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:55 pm

kjhogue wrote:interesting.
when growing up my father taught me how to adjust brake drums in just the opposite fashion. he would adjust them tight and then back off until the drum just barely turned freely.

My method produces the same result, its just achieved in a different manner. Keep in mind the brakes on these trucks are quite antiquated - leftovers from the 30's. Adjusting the shoes with an eccentric is somewhat different than doing it with a threaded jam screw like all modern drum brakes use.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks so much! I didn't even realize there was an upper eccentric...exactly which one is that? Thanks again!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 pm

I've got mine up on the rack with the rear brakes exposed at the moment - I'll get a few pics tomorrow and post em up so you can see.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 pm

That would be awesome.. I appreciate it!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am

If you look at the backing plate like an old clock, the upper eccentric adjusters are at 10 and 2. The adjustable anchor pins are at 5:30 and 6:30. The adjustable anchor pins have a lock nut that must be loosened first, then turn the flat on the end of the pin. The upper adjustment is a large nut that has a spring holding tension on it, that one just needs to be rotated in the proper direction. You need to adjust both the upper and lower adjusters to get the shoes to contact the drum fully.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 pm

I decided to make a short video instead of taking some pictures. I felt like the video would be better.

Here's a link to the video: http://youtu.be/txtCUD4hl3M

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:12 am

Mechanic58, excellent job, that video will help a lot of our members properly adjust their brakes.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio
Next

Return to K and KB