Gas sender

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon May 25, 2020 7:42 pm

Gas sender

I removed mine with the tank in place. The float was full of gas. Always read empty. I tested the sender and it read 3/4 when the float arm was up. After cleaning the sender I removes the top. See the photo. I marked the notch by the hole. Imoved the notched arm two notches ccw. Then the gauge read half full. I moved two notches past my mark cw. Then it read 1/4 at empty on the sender. I moved it back ccw one notch and the sender arm moved the gauge the full range. When I get the ford brass float I will install and test for real. Wish me luck, I hope this works for you!

Earl 1949 KB1
Attachments
DB6E9FD6-3E62-483A-B564-6D297C17BEA3.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Re: Gas sender

Brass floats are easy to repair. Drill a small hole and drain all the gas out of the float (you need two holes so vacuum doesn't hold the gas inside), clean and fill the hole with solder. drop the float into boiling water and hold under the surface to find the "other" hole. It will have bubbles of air coming out from the expanded air. Remove and clean the hole and solder it shut after the float has cooled (so you don't end up with a vacuum in the float.) Works for brass carb floats as well.
It is important to use an electrical soldering iron not an open flame incase of any residual fumes in the float.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 26, 2020 12:51 pm

fuel gauge in dash has small gear like limiters on the back under insulation, you can fine adjust gauge reading if float/sender isn't 100%
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:45 pm

You can also repair leaky floats by sealing them with the same stuff you coat gas tanks with. Tank sealants like Kreem, etc.
"Anything worth doing, is worth over-doing."

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:55 pm

What am I missing.? No fuel reading on my K1. Replaced faulty float, still zip. I see a picture on the forum, which appears to be insides of sending unit. Does top of unit actually come off? Is there no way to test the unit on the bench electrically?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:18 pm

you can test it at truck of at bench,
disconnect battery, disconnect power wire, remove sender,
cover gas tank hole for fumes,
connect battery and connect power wire back to sender connect a ground from sender body to ground on truck,
turn key on, move arm up and down slowly watch dash gauge.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:15 pm

What other ascending unit will work on a KB series truck? I had heard that a Chevy would work I ordered one and it was too long to fit. I am not sure about shortening it if it would work after I did that. Gas had set in the tank for a VERY long time and completely ruined the orginal one.
One more question while I am typing. Does rear end lubricant go in the same hole where you check the level? What is under the plate held on by 2 bolts on the top of the rear end. I intend on using 95/140 gear oil in it.
Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:00 pm

ks ihc guy wrote:What other ascending unit will work on a KB series truck? I had heard that a Chevy would work I ordered one and it was too long to fit. I am not sure about shortening it if it would work after I did that. Gas had set in the tank for a VERY long time and completely ruined the orginal one.
One more question while I am typing. Does rear end lubricant go in the same hole where you check the level? What is under the plate held on by 2 bolts on the top of the rear end. I intend on using 95/140 gear oil in it.
Thank you.

only King Seeley type senders will talk to King Seeley type gauges, late 30s-40s Ferd and 40s jeep supposedly will work, Chebbie Dodge etc. no

Return to K and KB