xxxxxx

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:44 pm

xxxxxx

xxxxx
Last edited by Wylie on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Re: Little help with Carb.

By any chance did you pull a plug to see if it was wet? You could have flooded it pouring gas down the carb. If you had a helper maybe you could disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the carb and crank it to watch if fuel is being pumped from the tank, though 1-2 gals may not be enough for the pump to draw. Not that familiar with a Zenith, I have a Carter. Just thinking out loud. When I find myself in these situations I start at the beginning, in this case the fuel tank and work my way to the combustion chamber. I'm sure you'll find the culprit.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:12 pm

xxxx
Last edited by Wylie on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 pm

I was hoping CB890 would step up on this one. I am thinking about it. The fix should not be all that difficult, it needs an organised approach.
I would suggest starting to eliminate the possibilities at the fuel tank. Is there any fuel flow when a suction is applied to the fuel line? If not start there with the fix. Get all of the old steel line out, CAREFULLY, and replicate it on a work bench.
Without a plan that follows the fuel and then the spark everything is just a random shot in the dark. If a person gets this truck running, by chance, and not know what they did, the situation could rise again. Where would a person start the fix again?
A person should remember, a spark ignited engine does not run on gasoline. Gasoline will not burn without proper vaporization to get oxygen in the mix. I do not like to see gasoline poured down and into a carburetor, unless the fuel is going into the carburetor bowl where it can pass through the jets.
Rather than fret over the fuel line going up and over the frame, it is more important to insure the fuel line is not leaking. Old age and time will cause the fuel lines to corrode through from the inside to the outside.
If you do not have some diagnostic tools like a vacuum hand pump, buy one.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=hand+ope ... 1200&hl=en
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm

There is no magic in and with these old trucks. They are a simple system that relies on all of the components working together.
Start at the fuel tank first then move onto the next system.
If you do not have any tools, buy some. Check You tube for some good diagnostic suggestions.
I have used my IHC trucks to support and be my reason to buy lots of tools. If a person is a little short on cash, they might want to shop at HF. I do not buy off-shore tools, but, there has been a very few times when I had to "bite the fortune cookie."
I would consider buying a cylinder leak down tester. If a person knows how to read a compression gauge, that may be a good start. No or vey low compression could mean little or no vacuum at the intake manifold.
Check the exhaust pipe for a rodent nest. If the exhaust cannot get out, the engine will not run.
I have tried to tech my son the basics. By the time he was 10 years old, he would say, "Check your grounds."
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:44 pm

There is supposed to be a filter in there, where the red gasket is. It is a strange metal, multi disc thing. see picture. If fuel is squirting out of there , first of all, the cap is not tight enough but it also suggests fuel is not flowing past the needle in the carb. Maybe some crap got into the carb? The filter inside the glass bowl looks suspicious too. Does it belong in there? The reason I ask is because I once had a cheapo inline filter and the glue that held the filter inside the housing broke down and plugged the needle in my carb with chunks of glue. The squirting gas also suggests your fuel pump is working fine. Hook it up to a clean source of gas and try to get it running like that. If your tank is dirty or the lines are old change them first, don't fight it. Even tiny chunks of crud will plug somewhere and leave you tits up. Maybe your timing is not quite right either? While my truck is running I can swing the distributor either way and it will speed up or slow down BUT if the timing is not set close to where it needs to be it will not start at all. My 2 cents. Good luck!
Attachments
IMG-20180407-01046.jpg
Filter_carb

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 pm

Another picture of the filter. I don't know if you can buy these or not. My parts truck had this in the carb. My original truck had nothing inside where the filter should be and that lead to issues.
Attachments
IMG-20180407-01045.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:38 am

Wylie wrote: I hooked up stock (new) fuel line to tank and put 1 3/4 of a gallon in tank (new).

To clarify, you have a new fuel line from the tank to the pump? And new fuel in an old tank or new fuel in a new tank?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 am

I didn't comment because its not clear to me what is happening. If leaking gas from the gasket then solve that. If not pulling gas from the tank, it could be a clogged (or leaking) pick-up tube in the tank, pin hole leaks in the line, bad fuel pump, leaking connections (sucking air), plugged vent to the tank. Just so much it could be without clear description. I am like Dean, what is new?
BTW the best way to prevent a clogged radiator is to pull all core plugs and mechanically as well as with water pressure clean the block and head, then add a coolant filter to trap what works loose after you clean. Either that or disassemble and hot tank.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:21 am

xxxx
Last edited by Wylie on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to K and KB