Timing advance after initial setup

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:57 am

Timing advance after initial setup

Hello. I am sort of taking an informal poll.....I have my KB2 / 214 set initially to zero degrees, and plan on advancing the timing two degrees as per ''higher quality fuels''. The scale goes to 10... what are most trucks out there set to? 2...4-5 degrees advanced? more? I typically use regular unleaded...nothing fancy or premium. I was really, really conservative on my timing (1 degree advanced) and ended up with sooty spark plugs and lousy gas mileage, and moderate power...the truck had run well initially, but the hold-down bolt on the distributor plate slipped..it was a farmer's fix, and not the proper shouldered bolt with spring and cupped washer...(anyone have one ?) :) The distributor does rotate well, the plates are cleaned and lubbed, and the weights spring it back properly, advance diaphragm is good, but i'll have to get on a better hold-down bolt..Thanks, and take care! Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Re: Timing advance after initial setup

only way to know if you are actually at that mark is with a timing light if your missing parts,

I static time to top dead center #1 piston, put pointer at zero and start operating temp motor, I fine adjust with a tach and vacuum gauge,

to me timing light marks are arbitrary to real life, book even states timing mark is suggested starting point,

I'm sure others have their opinion too
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:37 pm

Many years ago, we always set time timing by ear. Timing lights were useless on old engines and a variety of gas with or without water, available. lol
We would start the engine, rev a little, let the clutch out and slip it with the emergency brake or foot on the brake, and if it pinged/spark knocked, back off a little. Keep doing until no pinging or spark knock is heard. It is easier with help. If you smell the clutch burning, it might be time to let it rest a while or call it good. :D
I remember having to do it every once in a while since gas was not as universally stable and standardized as now days.
That method works as good as any on very old engines. I'll even bet you can find an old book that says, if you accelerate and hear pinging, retard the timing. Same thing, you just don't get to smell the clutch burn.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:42 am

Return to K and KB