Weather stripping around doors

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 am

Re: Weather stripping around doors

JJW wrote:Weatherstipping question. I've attached a picture of my old door surrond weatherstipping (on the top) and the new weatherstripping (on the bottom) supplied from oldinternationaltrucks.com. They are adamant that the one they sold me is the correct one but it doesn't even come close to fitting properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the proper fit?

I glued the supposed oem weatherstrip in and it didn't seal the doors at all. The noise was deafening from the leaks. Took forever to get all the weatherstrip glue from the channels after using paint thinner...ugh.
I bought a universal product called BIG D 3M WEATHERSTRIP on Ebay. Had the 3M glue strip already on it and was easy to install. It is soft rubber and sealed all the leaks. Nice quiet truck now and I can hear the radio playing. Fits the channel. Be sure to measure your channel for the proper length to order. The link below may not be long enough.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4M-Big-D-Shape-Car-Door-Window-Trim-Edge-Moulding-Rubber-Weatherstrip-Seal-Strip/183872140251?epid=808691681&hash=item2acfa233db:g:dC0AAOSw4wRdHcuv
s-l1600.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:38 pm

That looks like a good seal for this application, Bob. A lot easier to install too. Glad it worked well for you. The noise from improper sealing isn't a problem for me. I can't go fast enough to generate any!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:42 am

" I can't go fast enough to generate any!" Ha, That's a great find, thanks!
Last edited by Wylie on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 am

MACGIVER wrote:That looks like a good seal for this application, Bob. A lot easier to install too. Glad it worked well for you. The noise from improper sealing isn't a problem for me. I can't go fast enough to generate any!

Haha! How about a windy day?

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:25 am

So the product that came from Restoration Specialties was exactly the same as the one the came from OldInternationalTrucks. So in short, it didn't fit. I'm getting kind of frustrated. I've attached a couple pics to show the difference when the old and new are placed in the channel. It looks as if I will have to go with the 3M product as all the others don't seem to be what they are claiming.
Attachments
weatherstipping4.jpg
weatherstipping3.jpg
1949 KB2
I have a cunning plan sir.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm

problem with most of the rubber repop companies is they all buy from one supplier/maker,
and they know little to nothing about the vehicle they are selling rubber for,

Steel catalog sell lots of rubber by the foot and give dimensions right there, stuff Bob linked looks like it would be best,
problem with new solid core rubber is you have to slam the door to close until it forms to the door lip, hollow looks like it would be less firm resistance yet seal fine,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:20 pm

I just order some as well. I try to post some pics after install.
BTW they don't have anything longer than 13ft roll.
Previous

Return to K and KB