stock or hotrod

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:57 am

Re: stock or hotrod

Fitting a V8 requires a lot more work than fitting a inline 6. You can't make the argument that V 8 makes sense. You can make the argument that that is what you want. Honesty with your self is very important. It will make the trouble worth it to you are not, depending on your honest reason.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:32 am

I think FB is Face Book. I do not use Face Book.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am

welcome to the forum new2IH. I am in the process of restoring a KB2. It has been a long slow process and I have picked up spare cabs and running gears to help. I found all the GD 214 engine parts primarly from 2 suppliers. Eggies in Sante Fe Spring, CA. and Tom Underwood in Lawrence, KS. The first thing to do is get the engine to a machine shop to determine if standard bearings will work or if the crank needs to be ground to make sure everything is round again. This will envolve both rods and main bearings as well as cam bearings may have to replace the cam.
I have mine back together but I have not attempted to fire it yet hopefully soon.
It is a process hopefully I can get mine done before they kick dirt in my face.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:53 am

Forgot to add I am going back all original except I am converting it to 12V.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:59 pm

new2ih wrote:What is FB and how do I reach them?

Facebook,search groups, I'm a moderator on Binder trucks, 1941-1949 KB page and KB classifieds pages
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:12 am

Also consider how an engine swap effects the parking brake and rear end. My 47 has the parking brake in the driveline behind the trans. Most of these trucks had very low gears.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:12 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Fitting a V8 requires a lot more work than fitting a inline 6. You can't make the argument that V 8 makes sense. You can make the argument that that is what you want. Honesty with your self is very important. It will make the trouble worth it to you are not, depending on your honest reason.

Just my 2 cents, if I were considering a swap I would look at an inline 5 cylinder out of a Colorado or Canyon. They are the right size and weight and have EFI which makes them fairly efficient fuel wise, easy to find and parts plentiful, gearing would not be a problem with an O.D. automatic I don't think.

After driving a 2012 Colorado for a couple years and towing a 1200lb rail speeder all over the midwest with it I have found it to have plenty of torque and decent mileage. On a recent trip to the Black Hills we set the cruise at 85 mph and got 16 mpg with a stiff tailwind. 10 hours each way and used no oil.

Just food for thought.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:25 am

Lots of great advice on this site. My first hope is to find a green diamond ready to install, at an affordable price. Havent found one yet though. There aren't a lot of engine rebuilders where I live so shipping the original motor out for a rebuild could get very expensive. The best alternative I have heard on this forum is the 5 cyl Colorado engine. What a great idea. Has anyone out there done this swap? If so I would love to hear more about it

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:42 am

De Boss Garage did a YouTube video on replacing the cam chains on this engine. The parts were a couple of hundred dollars and the labor was several thousand dollars.
There are much better engine options.
One of the local Scout owners installed a Mercedes 300 turbo Diesel, 5 cylinder. This is a good fit and not so crazy powerful.
More power will need better brakes and so it goes.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB