serial numbers

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Re: serial numbers

Keep looking on the block for serial number. My Canadian chassis frame number is only 4 digits. That 6 digit number is probably the engine #. Good luck.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:05 pm

That Chassis number is probably where some have said. As stated, they were hand stamped, 1/2 tall numbers and not very deep. Do NOT sand the area.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 pm

So just as a recap, the truck should be titled off the 4 digit chassis number, but could be titled off the 6 digit engine number, or even off an order number? The chassis number is the only number that can be verified, possibly stamped on the left frame rail. The number on the inside cab seems irrelevant to the title or ownership. Does this sum up all the possibilities on a 49 kb-1, Hamilton production?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 pm

Pretty much. My preferred method is to use the Chassis number, as engines could be changed out. The standard, IF a block was supplied by IH was to send a block with NO serial number on it and the Original engine number was Stamped on the new block. Did not always happen, hence why some have had engines with no number on them.
Using the Chassis number and the list at Wisconsin Historical Society only really works for vehicles made in the USA. If you truck was produced in Canada, as far as we are aware, there is no records. Others may have an Idea. As I have said, IF the manufacture of vehicles in Canada mirrored the US, then the list for the US made trucks would give you a "fair" idea of when the Canadian Truck was made.
Best I can do for you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:13 pm

new2ih wrote:So just as a recap, the truck should be titled off the 4 digit chassis number, but could be titled off the 6 digit engine number, or even off an order number? The chassis number is the only number that can be verified, possibly stamped on the left frame rail. The number on the inside cab seems irrelevant to the title or ownership. Does this sum up all the possibilities on a 49 kb-1, Hamilton production?

serial number could be 4, 5, or 6 numbers depending on the year and model, and country made, cab serial number is irrelevant,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Previous

Return to K and KB