serial numbers

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Re: serial numbers

Keep looking on the block for serial number. My Canadian chassis frame number is only 4 digits. That 6 digit number is probably the engine #. Good luck.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:05 pm

That Chassis number is probably where some have said. As stated, they were hand stamped, 1/2 tall numbers and not very deep. Do NOT sand the area.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 pm

So just as a recap, the truck should be titled off the 4 digit chassis number, but could be titled off the 6 digit engine number, or even off an order number? The chassis number is the only number that can be verified, possibly stamped on the left frame rail. The number on the inside cab seems irrelevant to the title or ownership. Does this sum up all the possibilities on a 49 kb-1, Hamilton production?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 pm

Pretty much. My preferred method is to use the Chassis number, as engines could be changed out. The standard, IF a block was supplied by IH was to send a block with NO serial number on it and the Original engine number was Stamped on the new block. Did not always happen, hence why some have had engines with no number on them.
Using the Chassis number and the list at Wisconsin Historical Society only really works for vehicles made in the USA. If you truck was produced in Canada, as far as we are aware, there is no records. Others may have an Idea. As I have said, IF the manufacture of vehicles in Canada mirrored the US, then the list for the US made trucks would give you a "fair" idea of when the Canadian Truck was made.
Best I can do for you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:13 pm

new2ih wrote:So just as a recap, the truck should be titled off the 4 digit chassis number, but could be titled off the 6 digit engine number, or even off an order number? The chassis number is the only number that can be verified, possibly stamped on the left frame rail. The number on the inside cab seems irrelevant to the title or ownership. Does this sum up all the possibilities on a 49 kb-1, Hamilton production?

serial number could be 4, 5, or 6 numbers depending on the year and model, and country made, cab serial number is irrelevant,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but Im confused. Read another post on this subject and it got me thinking about my 47 KB1. I found the plate on the left kick panel..model # says HP or HF, followed by 205104. Am I correct in thinking this number has little importance? I also have the title from 1975 from Nebraska which shows ID # KB1 53781; and lists model # as GRD214 144 528. Im thinking thats the original # off the block. An envelope from that same owner shows a notation "new block" so that number may not match whats in the truck now. I assume I should find the 537 81 number on the left chassis, if I can read it. And it looks like thats the # often used to title these trucks now, correct? And last, does anybody reproduce the firewall id plates? I know you can buy blank ones, but does somebody stamp the correct numbers in them for you? Mine is missing.

Thanks

Allen

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Quick reply, Yes, you would want to title your rig from the chassis number, can get year of manufacture from Wisconsin Historical Society McCormick collection serial number list if your DMV Questions. they may require 13 digits, try to get them to incorporate the year and model number in that "created" vin. In Idaho, They just used my chassis number on my 1950 L truck. Get a blank plate that is the correct one for your era truck, get or borrow a set of metal number letter stamps. someone should be able to measure the "size" of them to reproduce.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:59 am

Thanks! Im finishing an 11 year frame off resto on my 75 Ford Elite Ive owned since '82. The KB is next; hoping to start it this winter. Keeping the original paint; cleaning, restoring, and upgrading the mechanicals where needed.

Allen
Attachments
005 (2)a.jpg
DSCN8298b.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Nice Elite. Your KB looks in good shape by that picture. Start a build thread when you do start on it.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks. The Elite took longer than expected. My dad worked for IH for 40 years. Stumbled on this 47 by chance 11 months after he passed away and couldn't pass it up. Seems to have had some writing on the doors and kerosene flares mounted on the right side of the bed. Thinking it was some type of service truck. I grew up on 70's-80's Fords and Chryslers. A 47 IH is a little out of my wheelhouse, so it should make for an interesting project.

Allen
Previous

Return to K and KB